install kernel Linux 2.6.26?

Frej

Verified User
http://kernelnewbies.org/Linux_2_6_26

So they finally got kernel debugger now. But i want to know is this recommended to update? currently have Kernel Version 2.6.18-92.1.1.el5 (SMP)
Quote:
1.7. KGDB

For many years Linux has not included a kernel debugger. Linus Torvalds vetoed them for years, for reasons that he explained quite well in a known email: "When things crash and you fsck and you didn't even get a clue about what went wrong, you get frustrated. Tough. There are two kinds of reactions to that: you start being careful, or you start whining about a kernel debugger [...] I happen to believe that not having a kernel debugger forces people to think about their problem on a different level than with a debugger. I think that without a debugger, you don't get into that mindset where you know how it behaves, and then you fix it from there. Without a debugger, you tend to think about problems another way. You want to understand things on a different _level_."

Despite of those objections, many people wanted a debugger and KGDB is finally going in. It's a remote debugger, it needs two machines. x86 and sparc machines are supported
Im wondering is it time to update to the latet kernel version?

what's your linux disturbution? Mine server is running on Debian 4.0 r2. I just upgrade the kernel from 2.6.18 to 2.6.26.1 yesterday. It looks fine for me so far.

Don't forget that unless you reboot your server you're not actually using the new kernel.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,
Server is rebooted after recompiled the kernel. Here is the info I get from dmesg:

Linux version 2.6.26.1-custom ([email protected]) (gcc version 4.1.2 20061
115 (prerelease) (Debian 4.1.1-21)) #1 SMP Wed Aug 6 10:36:15 SGT 2008

I don't see any reason so as to why people should use bleeding edge kernel on a production server!

Back