Install lan driver from shell

Anton

Verified User
Hello all and thank you all for the help..

I bought a new ASRock b75 pro3 only for server working but i have run into one problem how to i install the lan driver ? i only have terminal and i am litle new to linux (centos) if someone could help me that would be great i have centos 6.3 dvd disk if i can use that to somehow install driver for the lan.

For those who don't know, Anton is writing about a motherboard. Here's what the ASRock website says about their LAN connectivity:
- PCIE x1 Gigabit LAN 10/100/1000 Mb/s
- Realtek RTL8111E
- Supports Wake-On-LAN
- Supports LAN Cable Detection
- Supports Energy Efficient Ethernet 802.3az
- Supports PXE
According to this post (webhostingtalk.com) on webhostingtalk.com, the LAN connection should be supported by a stock CentOS kernel at least from version 5.5.

If it doesn't, I'd try to find either a CentOS support forum or a support forum for the board, as you'd be much more likely to find people familiar with the problem on one of those.

Jeff

Sorry for my bad detail on the question but i have no idea how to explain it :)

Well the question is this i bought a new motherboard and put it into the old server who had the faulty motherboard and when i had everything connected and turned on everything worked

but lan did not work so i thought some one had run into this problem and had a fix for this or any ideas on how to fix this..

Thank you nobaloney for the reply.

Hope it did not sound too much stupid :D

Not at all. I explained for others that it was a motherboard; not everyone knows :). My guess is the LAN really should work; I'd probably look to CentOS for support though, as the MB manufacturer doesn't seem to support Linux.

I really like SuperMicro server motherboards. Everything seems to just work with CentOS. Note though that I don't build servers; I buy working solutions from ServersDirect (if you're in the US and would like a contact there, email me at the address below; I'll introduce you to my rep.)

Jeff

Got it i had to add the new mac address here
and then save by using :wq!
Code:
view /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
and also add the new mac address here
Code:
vi /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

Last edited:
Back