IPv6 software support

LawsHosting

Verified User
So, we hare getting servers IPv6 ready. We have a /64 IPv6 netmask for each server - yes, crazy - giving them away like hot cakes!

As you know, Fail2Ban has no IPv6 support, yet - we use it with iptables.....

Seems that CSF does have IPv6 support?

What's the difference between F2B & CSF?

Or would it be wise to shut off IPv6 off (ip6tables reject all incoming) for now?

What's the difference between F2B & CSF
I agree with Petertjuh there. A lot more options, supports ipv6 already a long time, easy to integrate with DA as plugin), etc.
We use CSF/LFD on everything we can use it on, even on systems without control panel.
I should at least try it on one of your servers if I were you.:)

I wonder will they be successful with switching to IPv6? Or would they fail with admitting that IPv6 was not that good idea, and starting developing of a new protocol let's say IPv8?

I don't know how good is a process in your location, country, in my location the most home ISPs and Data Centers do not support IPv6 yet.

Seems that CSF does have IPv6 support?

Confirm, CSF supports IPv6. Not sure, how good does it blocking of IPv6... but at least it allows to use iptables6.

I wonder will they be successful with switching to IPv6? Or would they fail with admitting that IPv6 was not that good idea, and starting developing of a new protocol let's say IPv8?
I don't see any problems with IPv6. The biggest issue is that until everyone switches to it we (hosters) need to keep IPv4, because while there is a path from IPv6 to IPv4 (from your desktop to a webserver), there's no easy path from IPv4 to IPv6 (from a desktop to your server) so you'll need to keep IPv4 untill everyone likely to want to reach your server is running IPv6.

But that;s not really a limitation of IPv6; it's a limitation of ow conversions work.

Jeff

And if the content is not available there is no reason to switch. So the hosts (we) should start to support ipv6 as soon as possible so it is a reason to move the clients over to v6.

I work with web hosting and ISP services and we are starting to provide v6 for clients but it takes time, but all services we provide are dual stack :)

And if the content is not available there is no reason to switch. So the hosts (we) should start to support ipv6 as soon as possible so it is a reason to move the clients over to v6.
I'm only guessing here, but my guess is that most ISPs (I was previously an ISP, but sold out of that end of the business quite some time ago rather than move to reselling someone else's last mile) are converting to IPv6 not so much because of available IPv6 content (as currently virtually all available IPv6 content is also available via IPv4), but rather because they need more IP space.

Jeff

Back