Is it possible to have wildcard subdomain pointing to Dynamic DNS provider for a user/website?

TomJones

Verified User
So far, the answer I am finding is "No"

Situation: one User wants to be able to track client IPs so they can VPN (WireGuard) into client remote computers. Setting it up using DYNU, NOIP, etc., is trivial, but my User wants to use their domain name as an intermediary, pointing client1.clientwebsite.com client2.clientwebsite.com client3.clientwebsite.com to the DDNS provider nameservers.

I can add the NS record for the explicit subdomain name pointing to the DDNS provider in Domain Management, but adding that for each client manually is tedious. What I want to do is add a wildcard NS record, so all subdomains point to the DDNS provider nameservers. When I attempt it now I get:

Unable to save dns zone: named-checkzone returned:
loading "clientwebsite.com" from "/var/named/clientwebsite.com.db.temp.16119.hwOT9onbxt" class "IN"
dns_master_load: /var/named/clientwebsite.com.db.temp.16119.hwOT9onbxt:22: *.clientwebsite.com: invalid NS owner name (wildcard)

Is there a way to do this (without hacking core files)?

Hello,

Just a raw and untested idea. Will it work if you set:

Code:
cust.clientwebsite.com.     3600    IN      NS      ns1.DDNS.provider.com.
cust.clientwebsite.com.     3600    IN      NS      ns2.DDNS.provider.com.

*.cust.clientwebsite.com.   3600    IN      CNAME     cust.clientwebsite.com.

and use client1.cust.clientwebsite.com, client2.cust.clientwebsite.com, etc?

Thanks zEitEr, your input is always a step in the right direction. I was able to add the above exactly as you suggested, DA didn't complain. I'll follow up on if it works as expected with the DDNS.

**Update** it works!! I have to create each subdomain at the DDNS provider (dynu.com), but otherwise it's painless.

Last edited:
Couldn't able to connect name server
ns 2 comes error.
Please guide me
Or ip address

Back