Kicking off the off topic

TheVisitors

Verified User
When I join a community, I like to emerge myself within that community. So I was a little surprised that the off topic forum here seems.... empty

So hello everyone. A little introduction is in order. I'm Adam, one of the co-owners of SociallyUncensored.eu which is an online community that does not believe in censorship.

But enough about my site; let me tell you a little about myself.

I'm what you could call open minded, free thinking in that I do indeed think outside the box, am proudly politically incorrect & speak my thoughts openly. But I don't use it as an excuse to be rude as some people may commonly do when using the excuse of "telling it as it is". I believe you can be honest & truthful and "tell it like it is" without being disrespectful to others. And truthful, I think we could use more people as such.

I've been online for long time. I've been on The World-Wide Web, more commonly known today as simply as, The Internet; at a time when there technically was no World-Wide Web and each "site" was nothing more than a phone number with a text page for a readout. I can recall before www. ANYTHING .com and you had to actually type out IP addresses manually. And the first www address were nothing more than text like documents without any photos or color.

Needless to say, a lot has change. And I hate it when people say, Al Gorge invented The Internet, because he didn't. He may have convinced others to invest in the idea, but large companies and even home users were already surfing before he even spoke 1 word.

I guess if anyone wants to know more, they can ask. So hello.

And hello back to you. There are 61 threads in the Off-Topic subforum; if you don't see them all you may be looking at a date range. As you can see from the Posts link at the top right of each post, my posts outnumber yours by a number of magnitude, but all are equal and welcome here, with but a few exceptions. Advertising on DirectAdmin forums is limited to stuff DirectAdmin related, and we don't like and actively pursue and suspend spammers and occasionally flamers. And as administration goes, some of us are more equal than others.

Though I'm a prolific poster, I really do spend a lot of time running my business, which is offering services to webhosters and webhosting companies. We offer lots of services that anywhere from small to medium-sized hosters can offer their clients, and I still try to spend time on the forums every day.

No, Al Gore didn't invent the Internet; I'm one of the oldtimers involved from the early days, and I know he didn't :). And I've been running unix so long I can't remember since when, but I ran an ISP years ago on the commercial BSD-OS, and my first linux distribution, which I used for webhosting in 1995, ran on kernel version 0.9 (it was a very early Slackware). I lived in the San Francisco Bay area, and was an early member of The Homebrew Computer Club (computerhistory.org). At one of the earliest TRS-80 clubs I met with Nobel Prize winner Art Schawlow and along with another member, we tried to convince the powers-that-be at Stanford University to replace their single purpose Wang word processors with the original TRS-80 Model 1. Didn't work out of course; while we were okay with having to rewire the little beasts to handle lower-case, the University wasn't.

Fun, wasn't it?

Jeff

And hello back to you. There are 61 threads in the Off-Topic subforum; if you don't see them all you may be looking at a date range. As you can see from the Posts link at the top right of each post, my posts outnumber yours by a number of magnitude, but all are equal and welcome here, with but a few exceptions. Advertising on DirectAdmin forums is limited to stuff DirectAdmin related, and we don't like and actively pursue and suspend spammers and occasionally flamers. And as administration goes, some of us are more equal than others.

Though I'm a prolific poster, I really do spend a lot of time running my business, which is offering services to webhosters and webhosting companies. We offer lots of services that anywhere from small to medium-sized hosters can offer their clients, and I still try to spend time on the forums every day.

No, Al Gore didn't invent the Internet; I'm one of the oldtimers involved from the early days, and I know he didn't :). And I've been running unix so long I can't remember since when, but I ran an ISP years ago on the commercial BSD-OS, and my first linux distribution, which I used for webhosting in 1995, ran on kernel version 0.9 (it was a very early Slackware). I lived in the San Francisco Bay area, and was an early member of The Homebrew Computer Club (computerhistory.org). At one of the earliest TRS-80 clubs I met with Nobel Prize winner Art Schawlow and along with another member, we tried to convince the powers-that-be at Stanford University to replace their single purpose Wang word processors with the original TRS-80 Model 1. Didn't work out of course; while we were okay with having to rewire the little beasts to handle lower-case, the University wasn't.

Fun, wasn't it?

Jeff

Well hello Jeff, it's a pleasure to make your acquaintance. :)

You may have actually be on the web longer than I have. Of course at only 31 myself (32 in March), I have to say I may have started out with technology at a younger age. My first "computer" that I actually learned how to pay with was at 4 years old way back in 1985. We can both agree that a lot has since changed over the years in both technology and the Internet in general.

I've never managed an ISP (Internet Service Provider), but I once was an invested owner in a web hosting service provider (web host) known as Atlantis Services. We sold the company just about around the end of the original Internet "bubble" (just as the market became saturated).

Today I help administrate a few sites, including my own, but mostly as a hobby and for the fun of it. While I do collect a small fee from time to time, nothing as serious as I once took it.

Yes, you were right.... The off topic forum is not as empty as I thought it was. lol

Back