Legacy license - host doesnt want to renew/upgrade

SEO Guru

Verified User
I am currently renting a VPS with DA pre installed. Running on a legacy >lifetime< license. I contacted support because I would like to upgrade MariaDB from 10.6 to next LTS. The reply from my host TransIP, the biggest or one of the biggest hosters in Netherlands, worried me a bit. They said that they are not renewing/upgrading the legacy license and that I can buy myself a license. They will stop providing preinstalled DA on servers. This makes me sad. I understand legacy lifetime licenses are not very profitable in the long run but you were the one offering these licenses! I really love DA but this forces me as an hobbyist to move to another (maybe free?) alternative.

Please reconsider phasing out legacy lifetime licenses. Just take the loss and keep growing new customer base and make it not possible to transfer licenses between hosts, so its only tied to the original buyer. Once DA was loved for its short lines to staff and relatively low costs compared to other control panels. It doesnt have to be the advanced Swiss army knife like cPanel.

TransIP is no longer what it used to be, I am happy to have made the switch from a few services for our business years ago. They can easily upgrade the licenses, but you can see that they don't care about it either. Leave there quickly and buy your own license.
Quality is shit, as well their performance VPS platform is very unstable.

They will stop providing preinstalled DA on servers.
Well, I know Transip very well, but I think this will be the answer from most providers/datacenters which were using legacy licences until now.
They had many years of profit from them and getting almost free licences will stop at a certain time. Then it's time to pay some fee like with any other panel after 20 years.
Maybe they find their deal too expensive although I hardly doubt they will get a better deal from other panels which are more expensive to begin with.
And I agree with @exlhost since all the takeovers Transip is not anymore what it used to be either.
But anyway, that won't matter because other datacenters are not upgrading either as far as I know.

Please reconsider phasing out legacy lifetime licenses.
There was a long topic about the future of legacy licenses, you can find it on the forums and you can ask a 100 times, they will not reconsider.

Just take the loss and keep growing new customer base
That is the whole point. They earn 0 from all the legacy licences out there. People keep buying VPS or servers like you do with pre-installed DA but Da is not getting a penny of that, neither getting new customers. That will hurt a company over time.

Costs are still relatively low compared to other control panels (especially CP). Still the cheapest out there.
So you can't expect them to keep delivering services and upgrades for free.

Back