Moving from cPanel to DA

monarocv8

Hi,

My webhost is ceasing cPanel webhosting, and moving their business to DA. I don't have any huge complicated sites using databases or anything, so the move will hopefully be fairly easy.

I've read some of the cPanel to DA migration info in this forum, but it mainly seems to deal with it from an admin/reseller perspective (in that it would require root access to WHM to access the scripts pkgacct etc) which as a customer I don't have. And unfortunately, in their FAQ, they have said the below with regards to migrating customers :-

While we would love to, we don't have the skills and knowledge to migrate everyone's website and be an expert at it. [Company] can migrate this website for you as part of a migration block which is an additional fee of $3.50 per domain. Compared to our normal migration fee of $29.00 per domain. The $3.50 migration fee will only be available if more then 100 clients sign up for this offer. Please contact our Sales Department for more details.

{Sarcasm]Great offer[/Sarcasm], but even though they are forcing this change it still depends on getting 100 users (I don't have any idea how many they have) - so to some degree that leaves me on my own.

The 2 things I need help to achieve are :-

1. Import cPanel email forwarders for domain.com. I have the /etc/valiases file from cPanel (most are forwarded to :fail: ). As there are more than 1000 of these, I'd prefer not to have to recreate them manually.
2. Automate backups - I currently have a cron job running that uses UAPI to create a cPanel backup, and then my home NAS has a cron job that runs 5 minutes later to use FTPS to download and remove the backup from my cpanel hosting, and upload it to OneDrive. Is there a similar and automated way I could do at least the backup creation in DA with just user rights?

I'd really like to do this ASAP as my host seems to be severely restricting their cPanel environment (maybe to encourage people to move sooner), but I'm not a fan of messages such as "The filesystem mounted at / on this server is running out of disk space. cPanel operations have been temporarily suspended to prevent something bad from happening. Please ask your system admin to remove any files not in use on that partition." or "unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems" which I'm hoping will go away once i migrate to DA.

Hello,

I wonder which level access do you have on DirectAdmin server? In order to copy/paste data for forwarders in Directadmin you will need to get root access to the Directadmin server. Regular users have no access to the file.

Hello,

I wonder which level access do you have on DirectAdmin server? In order to copy/paste data for forwarders in Directadmin you will need to get root access to the Directadmin server. Regular users have no access to the file.

i wonder too, but I suspect it wouldn’t be anything over user access. I was afraid that it would be similar to cPanel where the /etc/valiases directory is not available to end users, but the files for your account get included in the UAPI triggered backups.

I think I’ll just have to read in the cPanel file to a PHP script and run 1000+ CURL queries to recreate the forwarders. And likely the same sort of thing to generate regular backups.

Back