Moving mail files from other server.

tino

Verified User
Hi,

I recently migrated a users website from an old server to a new DirectAdmin server. The site has been moved completely, and on the new server the mailboxes are recreated.

From the old server, I have the mail files for the mailboxes that were on that machine. Let's say; userA, userB and userC.

Now, on the DirectAdmin machine, I can only locate the mailbox file for the primary user, the site admin.

Q: How can I give the users thier mail back from the mail files I have? Where should I place them (with what permissions)? Since I can only locate the mailbox file for the main user/admin of the account...

Tino

/var/spool/mail/*

Best way is probably backup your current mail directory then backup and restore your current directory (storing permissions)

Chris

Hi,

In the /var/spool/mail I can only find the mailboxes for the primary users (or admins) of the domain, not for the POP3 mailboxes that user created for the domain...

Say the user I create for the domain domain.com is "admin". I can locate the "admin" mailbox in the /var/spool/mail. But if the user "admin" creates POP3 mailboxes for his domain through the control panel (let's say he creates "[email protected]" and "[email protected]"), these mailboxes do not show up in /var/spool/mail.

Any ideas on this?

Tino

Dzjeez.. Why Didn't I think of that.. :)

Thanks a million!

Tino

Haha.. yeah..

I seems like the mail files are created upon reciept of the first message...

Well, I put them in the right spot, changed the permissions and now I'll see what the customer has to say!

Tino

Back