Mysql install fails?

palantir

Verified User
[SOLVED] Mysql install fails?

I installed DA yesterday. I got with a standard installation on Debian 4. Mysql was correctly installed and has some testing websites running against it. Now, I wanted to rebuild it.

I typed:
Code:
root@zanzara:/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild# ./build options
Apache: 2.2.10
Dovecot: 1.1.7
AWstats: no
exim.conf update: no
MySQL: no
MySQL backup: yes
PHP: 5.2.6 as CGI with mail() header patch
phpMyAdmin: 3.0.1.1-all-languages
ProFTPD: 1.3.1
Atmail webmail: no
RoundCube webmail: 0.1.1
Run "clean" every time: yes
Run "clean_old_webapps" every time: no
Show texts in bold: yes
SquirrelMail: 1.4.16
UebiMiau: no
Zend Optimizer: no

that's strange, as mysql is in fact installed. Ok, I went on, and edited the options.conf file, and changed mysql_inst=no to yes. Then I typed:

Code:
./build update
./build mysql

but it fails:

Code:
root@zanzara:/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild# ./build mysql
       Dumping database **** (hidden)
       Dumping database da_roundcube
       Dumping database mysql
       Dumping database **** (hidden)
Stopping mysqld ...
Stopping mysqld:                [ OK ]
tar: mysql-5.0.67-linux-i686.tar.gz: Cannot open: No such file or directory
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
tar: Child returned status 2
tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
Starting mysqld:                [ OK ]
Giving mysqld a few seconds to start up...
Looking for 'mysql' in: /usr/local/mysql-5.0.67-linux-i686/bin/mysql
Looking for 'mysqlcheck' in: /usr/local/mysql-5.0.67-linux-i686/bin/mysqlcheck
Running 'mysqlcheck'...
/usr/local/mysql-5.0.67-linux-i686/bin/mysqlcheck: Got error: 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2) when trying to connect
FATAL ERROR: Upgrade failed
Restarting MySQL.
Stopping mysqld:                [ FAILED ]
Starting mysqld:                [ OK ]
It is recommended to do "./build php n" after MySQL update.

What's the problem?

I am a bit confused, because in the options.conf I also see that uebimiau is set to no, while it is installed, and so is cron...

Last edited:
tar: mysql-5.0.67-linux-i686.tar.gz: Cannot open: No such file or directory

Doesnt look like it downloaded mysql.

If my recollection is correct (you might want to check with DirectAdmin Support) DirectAdmin only installs MySQL if it's not already installed by your OS. I may be wrong; now would be a good time to check :).

Jeff

If my recollection is correct (you might want to check with DirectAdmin Support) DirectAdmin only installs MySQL if it's not already installed by your OS. I may be wrong; now would be a good time to check :)

I am using debian 4, I got a clean installation and launched the DA setup script. Now the installed packages are:
libmysqlclient15off 5.0.32
mysql-common 5.0.32

But mysql-server is not installed. And:
Code:
root@zanzara:/# which mysql
/usr/local/bin/mysql

so it seems to me that it's actually using a DA-compiled version. I don't understand why it had mysql_inst=no, and why it won't work now...

I'll drop a line to support as soon as I will get the final lincense, now I am using the trial. But I will definitely stay with DA, seems like it has all I need. Only problem is support's opening times, for us who work in Europe :mad:

There are plenty of europeans on these forums who answer support questions day and night, and there are even 24/7 third party support companies, including us.

Jeff

Hello,

This is the file in question:
http://files.directadmin.com/services/all/mysql/debian/mysql-5.0.67-linux-i686.tar.gz

You can place it into:
/usr/local

eg:
Code:
cd /usr/local
wget -O mysql-5.0.67-linux-i686.tar.gz http://files.directadmin.com/services/all/mysql/debian/mysql-5.0.67-linux-i686.tar.gz
then do the ./build mysql again. Note that an md5sum isn't done on that file, so if it was present but empty, it would generate that error.

John

@jeff : DA community is stunning, and the forums is one more reason why I chose to deploy DA instead of other panels :) I got two useful answers in two days :)

@John : thanks, that solved it. BTW, that file was not in /usr/local already.

Thanks everyone!!!
Maciej

Back