New Install

Sahi

Verified User
I'm running CentOS 5 on my colocated server.
I'm going to move everything to a VPS but would have some advise if I should stay om CentOS5 or go to CentOs6.

When changing to CentOS 6 can i expect some problems with the old configuration of DA, MySQL, Apache or something else?

Thanks

Well, I'm not sure if it's absolutely necessary, but I would take care thate things are up to date and the same. Supposing you are using custombuild 1.2.
First on your Centos 5 machine, take care that if you are using (if possible) or upgrade tot the latest php 5.3.
Do the same with mysql, I use the latest mysql 5.5.x version.
Normally the Apache version would probably be 2.2.24 at the moment.

If those versions are the same, you can expect the least problems.

Possible problem which you could have after installing DA on Centos 6, is that portreserve is installed, which can prevent restarting mysql in some situations.
First thing I do after installing Centos 6 is:
/etc/rc.d/init.d/portreserve stop
chkconfig portreserve off

Configure your DA and the vps as much the same as on the old vps with Centos 5, do an admin backup and restore and normally spoken you should be ok.

When changing to CentOS 6 can i expect some problems with the old configuration of DA, MySQL, Apache or something else?

If you've got default configs and settings of hosting stack (Apache, MySQL, PHP), and if you don't plan switching to CB 2.0 from CB 1.x, then you should not much worry about it. The transfer should go smoothly. If you care about downtime, which might occur with an IP changing, then check this: http://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=87

Unless you want a fresh install you can simply convert the server you have to a vps and everything will be the same as it is now.

you can simply convert
It's not that simple. I tried this on my server at home, but a VPS is not that easily build as far as I could see, apart from the fact that you need a lot of memory if you want several vps'ses build on one server.

Or do you have an easy method which also works without problems??

I guess user DominionHosting was assuming creating a template from the currently running box and later deploying a VPS based on that custom template. That should no be the same hardware...

Confuses me too. I tried once with Xen, and after couldn't reach the system. Tried once with the one you can install from yum, but on start got lots of error notices. Maybe I used some wrong howto. I don't understand that post in the link to WHT at all.:)
But it's off-topic here anyway. I don't want to steal topics asking how to build a vps (and which to use best) for centos.

Back