Solved No email messages on completion of backup

llamprec

Verified User
Greetings People,

I am a newbie to DirectAdmin and have just set up a new installation. The issue that I am facing is that after a backup is run via the crontab, no notification is sent to the admins email address to inform that the backup is ready.

I have checked and see that there is a checkbox under options stating that all messages should be mailed to the admin user. Only no mail is sent and I cannot see why.
The checkbox is "Email all messages to "{email address}"

I have had a look into the /var/log/exim/mainlog file and there is no entry from DirectAdmin for any backup message to be sent.
Looking on the message queue within Directadmin, the message saying that the backup is completed is present.

How to I find out why the emails are not being sent?

Thanks
Lawrence

Hi,

@wila
Thanks for your input, but I do not think that my issue is related to this., well I am not 100% sure.

looking at what is suggested does not make any sense. See below.

# # # Extract from ticket. # # #
Code:
[root@...]# ls -l /usr/sbin/sendmail
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Aug 7 08:59 /usr/sbin/sendmail -> /etc/exim

However /etc/exim doesn't exist. Via internet I found that it should be a different path, so I did:
Code:
[root@...]# ln -s /usr/sbin/sendmail exim
ln: failed to create symbolic link 'exim': File exists
[root@...]# ls -l /usr/sbin/sendmail
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 21 Aug 8 11:01 /usr/sbin/sendmail -> /etc/alternatives/mta
# # # End of Extract from ticket. # # #

I see the same if I run ls -ltr /usr/sbin/sendmail
when he then says makes no sense.

if I run the command ln -s /usr/sbin/sendmail exim, this creates a symbolic link in the roots home dir. No clue how and why his fails.
then he lists the value for /usr/sbin/sendmail ... at no point does he show creating a symbolic link to /etc/alternatives/mta

I checked and /etc/alternatives/mta also does not exist.

I had to run the command ln -s /etc/alternatives/mta /usr/sbin/sendmail to see the results for the following. ls -l /usr/sbin/sendmail

I will see how this helps.

Lawrence

@wila
What I find strange is that if I tail the exim log file /var/log/exim/mainlog I do not see any entry when a message is sent by directadmin. So somehow the link between DirectAdmin and exim is an issue. (this is only by assumption, I am not very sure)

Lawrence

Following the wrong steps "from the internet" it seems.
Your ln command has the parameters in the wrong order, thank goodness it didn't use "force" or your whole mail server would have been fubared.

The thread I linked.. links to a thread here where Martynas from custombuild fame gives the correct steps.

Let me add that link too:

Back