One IP address server..how?

wchost

Verified User
Hello,

Because I will be having a server with only 1 IP address? I am not sure how to setup so the nameserver will also use the main IP address provided in the machine!

Because as I know is shared IP address cannot assign with a nameserver together with the server...is there anyway to teach me how?

Also, it is only 1 website server, so there wont be a use in reseller, I will be creating an account under admin's user level.

Please help as this task has struggle me several times!

I also confused with 2 IP addresses! What an idiot i am!

Thanks

You can use your single IP# for the first nameserver.

You may or may not be able to use it for your second nameserver, as registrars for some top-level domains may not allow two nameservers for the same domain (i.e., ns1.example.com and ns2.example.com) to use the same address.

So you should probably check with someone about getting slave DNS done on another server.

There are free and commercial DNS services on the Internet that offer slave DNS services. We offer the service commercially, but you may be able to find someone here to offer it to you at no charge. Or find a DNS service on the Internet that does it at no charge.

Jeff

How do you set the main (shared) IP with share with the nameserver?

thx

I don't remember how I did it when I set up the servers.

However, there are threads in these forums that should help you; try searching for both "nameserver" and for "name server" (without the quotes).

I'm going to be setting up a new server within the next few days; If I remember, I'll update this thread then.

Jeff

Back