Openprotect - Longest Run

sohaib

Verified User
What is Openprotect
OpenProtect, a complete server side email protection solution.

Spam protection
OpenProtect provides Spam protection by using SpamAssassin, RBL(Realtime Blackhole List) checks inside SpamAssassin as well doing RBL checks directly. Statistical filtering component of SpamAssassin, called sa-learn can also be used to train false positives and false negatives.

Software Requirements
Kernel
Linux Kernel 2.2 or Better. Run uname -r to find the current kernel version. The output should look like:

2.6.7-gentoo-r11

glibc(GNU C library)
Glibc 2.1 or Better. Run /lib/libc.so.6 to find the version installed. The output should look like:

GNU C Library stable release version 2.3.3, by Roland McGrath et al.
Copyright (C) 2004 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

Perl
Perl 5.005_3 or Better. Run perl -v to find the version installed. The output should look like:

This is perl, v5.8.4 built for i686-linux Copyright 1987-2004, Larry Wall

gcc(GNU C Compiler)
GCC 2.95 or Better. Run gcc -v to find the current gcc version. The output should look like:

Thread model: posix
gcc version 3.2.3 20030422 (Gentoo Linux 1.4 3.2.3-r4, propolice)

Supported MTA
Sendmail 8.11+/Postfix 1.11+/Exim 3.x+/Qmail 1.03.

Please make sure that your MTA is correctly installed and configured by sending a test mail from your server to an external address and sending a test mail from an external address to your server. After making sure that these mails are received properly, proceed with this guide to install OpenProtect. Too many times, it is the MTA misconfiguration that causes most of the trouble. So, save yourself some precious moments by following the above step.

Note that all Linux Distributions which meet the above requirements should face no problems in installing OpenProtect. We have tested OpenProtect on RedHat, Mandrake, Debian, SUSE, Slackware, Gentoo and Fedora.

Longest Run
Who has used Openprotect for a longest time, this will definately help people who are new and willing to use openprotect.

Good luck.

install finsh, just (Y) or (N).
did i need to edit file ?
MailScanner use 30% to 35% CPU in AMD3000+ is that normal ?
how can i do test after install
;)

Wael

OpenProtect is a product available from a company called OpenComputing.

I'm not sure of the business model; the website says it's us$649 per server, but there's a link to sourceforge for a download.

I don't see how this solution would work any better than any other solution using SpamAssassin and blocklists, as that's what it does. It requires Kaspersky for Anti-Virus, and tells you to get an evaluation license. They don't bother to tell you it's against Kaspersky's TOS to use the evaluation license on a commercial server.

In any event this is NOT a How-To, which is an instruction set for doing someting on a DA server. I've move it to the 3rd Party Software forum.

Jeff

It will be only a license version if you use that KA virus software, but if you are using Clamav its FREE.

And I've confirmed that with Openprotect. The license is FREE to use.

I get following error:
Finding Gcc version...Use of uninitialized value in string ge at ./openprotect-install line 139, <> line 1.

You need GCC version 2.95 or above

GCC 3.4.4 seems to be installed on my Centos 4.2 box:

Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc/i386-redhat-linux/3.4.4/specs
Configured with: ../configure --prefix=/usr --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info --enable-shared --enable-threads=posix --disable-checking --with-system-zlib --enable-__cxa_atexit --disable-libunwind-exceptions --enable-java-awt=gtk --host=i386-redhat-linux
Thread model: posix
gcc versie 3.4.4 20050721 (Red Hat 3.4.4-2)

Back