Password protected directories not working with openlitespeed

dantgal

Verified User
Hello!
I have a problem with password protected directories with openlitespeed. The dialog box for username and password is not showing - server returns content without asking for a password. Just rewerted back to Apache and it's suprisingly working, changed again to openlitespeed - nope - not working.

I searched forum, found solutions like: rebuild all, change group to nobody and nothing worked for me. I am stuck and have no idea how to solve this problem.

Can anybody help me? I supposse some problem with permissions maybe? Appreciate your help after sleepless night dealing with it.

Some starting info below:
root@serv:/home/daniel/domains/example.com/public_html# ls -la .htaccess
-rw-r--r-- 1 daniel daniel 188 04-11 15:47 .htaccess

root@serv:/home/daniel/domains/example.com/public_html# cat .htaccess
AuthGroupFile /dev/null
AuthUserFile /home/daniel/domains/example.com/.htpasswd/public_html/.htpasswd
AuthName "Admin"
ErrorDocument 401 "Unauthorized Access"
require valid-user
AuthType Basic

root@serv:/home/daniel/domains/example.com/public_html# ls -la /home/daniel/domains/example.com/.htpasswd/public_html/.htpasswd
-rw-r--r-- 1 daniel daniel 44 04-11 14:58 /home/daniel/domains/example.com/.htpasswd/public_html/.htpasswd

Thanks in advance...

Last edited:
But it worked before with openlitespeed. I did restart many times with no changes at all... I think it happened after last DA update...

Last edited:
Today:
  • service litespeed stop
  • deleted /usr/local/lsws
  • deleted custom DA configs for openlitespeed
  • deleted custom templates
  • ./build openlitespeed
  • ./build rewrite_confs
Not working still - no idea!
Must be DA realted I think. It suppose it stopped working after last DA upgrade. Does anyone have it working after last upgrade with openlitespeed?

Last edited:

maybe you should use LSWS, because OLS doesn't support directives.

I am experiencing the same issue. Password protection stopped working after the automatic update from version 1.647 to 1.648. Currently, I am running OpenLiteSpeed on Debian 11.

I hope that the staff is aware of the problem and that it will be fixed soon in an update.

I installed DirectAdmin as a virtual machine in Proxmox. Therefore, I had a previous backup with version 1.647, which I restored. The password protection worked fine here. Using the command: /usr/local/directadmin/directadmin config-set autoupdate 0, I turned off the autoupdate of DirectAdmin. This was a temporary solution until, hopefully, an update is released to fix the problem.

Hello there @oddvar!
I wrote to the support, they replied with suggestion to put the ticket with it - and... today I got info that there was a bug, so DA staff fixed it.
The update is available in current channel from today!
Updated, reloaded DA, restarted OLS and voila! It's working now again!

I installed DirectAdmin as a virtual machine in Proxmox. Therefore, I had a previous backup with version 1.647, which I restored. The password protection worked fine here. Using the command: /usr/local/directadmin/directadmin config-set autoupdate 0, I turned off the autoupdate of DirectAdmin. This was a temporary solution until, hopefully, an update is released to fix the problem.
@oddvar there is no need to restore from backups if you want to hop between last two DA versions. If you ever want to switch to an older DA version it is enough to change update channel from current to stable and perform the update (which will actually be a downgrade if you used current update channel before). From CLI this would look like:

Code:
da config-set update_channel stable
da update

From GUI update channel can be changed in Admin level -> Support & Help -> Updates:

1682670405251.png

We are keeping stable release channel one version behind the current. Changing the channel gives you an easy way to hop between last two DA versions without having to disable auto-updates.

Lucky you, unfortunately I have no older snapshot before upgrade to 1.648 :(
If you ever want to hop one version back same trick can be used - just change release channel to stable.

Once the issue is resolved you can hop back to the current release channel.

Back