php 5.x, 7.x and 8.0 cannot compile against openssl 3.0 or higher. Try php 8.1 or higher.

aionets

Verified User
Hello,

I am using Hostbill app (https://hostbill.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/DOCS/pages/491526/HostBill+Install+Upgrade).
This app uses the previous ioncube loader. This ioncube loader is compatible with PHP v7.4 NOT v8.1.
I installed an on-premise DirectAdmin on my root accessed VPS. I installed the latest version of DirectAdmin with php8.1 and SSLv3.

I tried to use multi PHP feature on DirectAdmin to add phpv7.4 as the php2_release=7.4 beside PHP v8.1
BUT when trying to install phpv7.4, it returns the issue as follows:

"php 5.x, 7.x and 8.0 cannot compile against openssl 3.0 or higher. Try php 8.1 or higher."

I think PHP v7.4 is not compatible with SSLv3, which is running on my server.

Would you please advise on how to solve this issue?

Kind regards,

Would you please advise on how to solve this issue?
If you encounter this problem, you probably installed Alma Linux 9. This uses openssl v3 which is indeed not compatible with older php versions.

To solve this issue, the best solution is to install Alma Linux 8.5 or 8.6. This still supports openssl 1.1.1k which you can use php 7.4 with.
Also you don't have to worry because Alma Linux 8.x is end of active support 01 May 2024 and end of security support (so real EOL) march 1st 2029 which means you can still use this a lot of years.

I'm pretty sure in the meantime Hostbill will be as smart to upgrade their program for better compatibility.

Thank you for your response.
I am using Ubuntu 22.04 in this installation.

Is there any way to install two SSL versions on one DA?
If I could config in this way, the next question would be how to assign the oldest version to php7.4?

Kind regards,

Is there any way to install two SSL versions on one DA?
If it's possible, it's difficult because openssl is compiled with everything so I tend to say it's not possible.

If you run Ubuntu 22.04 I would suggest to use a bit lower version of Ubuntu which does not use openssl 3 yet.

After recent update of Ubuntu OS my Apache server stopped. When I try to restart it with terminal console commands I see the same message:
"php 5.x, 7.x and 8.0 cannot compile against openssl 3.0 or higher. Try php 8.1 or higher."
Any suggestions?

@V67
Or if you have knowledge about coder and c++ compiler ( Hardcore Linux ), you can manual install openssl 1.1 and compiler PHP with this openssl.

Don't do this, if you don't know what's you should do. it will break your Server.

@V67
Or if you have knowledge about coder and c++ compiler ( Hardcore Linux ), you can manual install openssl 1.1 and compiler PHP with this openssl.

Don't do this, if you don't know what's you should do. it will break your Server.
@James2k
Would it be possible to replace openssl 3 with 1 on Almalinux 9?

hmm. This is really very disturbing. Why don't they offer support for PHP 7.4?
I'm having the same problem. The instructions in the link do not work at all:

Back