php-fpm83 unable to start

boromir

Hi all. Just looking for ideas on how to fix the problem of php-fpm83 refusing to start. That's after reinstalling everything multiple times. I did ./build rewrite_confs etc reinstalled it multiple times but still no result. I fixed it somehow last time until I updated php8.3 yesterday

this is what service php-fpm83 status returns:

/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/configure$ service php-fpm83 status
Redirecting to /bin/systemctl status php-fpm83.service
● php-fpm83.service - The PHP FastCGI Process Manager
Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/php-fpm83.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Fri 2024-09-20 13:05:48 EDT; 31s ago
Process: 3649 ExecStart=/usr/local/php83/sbin/php-fpm83 --nodaemonize --pid=/run/php-fpm83.pid (code=exited, status=78)
Main PID: 3649 (code=exited, status=78)

Sep 20 13:05:48 s2.cxpath.com systemd[1]: Starting The PHP FastCGI Process Manager...
Sep 20 13:05:48 s2.cxpath.com php-fpm83[3649]: PHP: syntax error, unexpected NULL_NULL in Unknown on line 1
Sep 20 13:05:48 s2.cxpath.com php-fpm83[3649]: [20-Sep-2024 13:05:48] ERROR: Unable to include /usr/local/directadmin/data/users/server/php/php-fpm83.conf from /usr/local/php83/etc/php-fpm.conf at line 15
Sep 20 13:05:48 s2.cxpath.com php-fpm83[3649]: [20-Sep-2024 13:05:48] ERROR: failed to load configuration file '/usr/local/php83/etc/php-fpm.conf'
Sep 20 13:05:48 s2.cxpath.com php-fpm83[3649]: [20-Sep-2024 13:05:48] ERROR: FPM initialization failed
Sep 20 13:05:48 s2.cxpath.com systemd[1]: php-fpm83.service: main process exited, code=exited, status=78/n/a
Sep 20 13:05:48 s2.cxpath.com systemd[1]: Failed to start The PHP FastCGI Process Manager.
Sep 20 13:05:48 s2.cxpath.com systemd[1]: Unit php-fpm83.service entered failed state.
Sep 20 13:05:48 s2.cxpath.com systemd[1]: php-fpm83.service failed.

PHP: syntax error, unexpected NULL_NULL in Unknown on line 1
Did you customise something anywhere? Because this is already odd, and then this one:
from /usr/local/php83/etc/php-fpm.conf at line 15
Line 15 of this php-fpm.conf is commented by default, it reads this:
;syslog.ident = php-fpm

And I presume in:
/usr/local/directadmin/data/users/server/php/php-fpm83.conf
the /server/ is masked and should be the username I hope.

But the above 2 errors gives me the impression you have some customisations for php-fpm somewhere.

Did you customise something anywhere? Because this is already odd, and then this one:

Line 15 of this php-fpm.conf is commented by default, it reads this:
;syslog.ident = php-fpm

And I presume in:

the /server/ is masked and should be the username I hope.

But the above 2 errors gives me the impression you have some customisations for php-fpm somewhere.
no customization. I'm a transfer from CPanel to DirectAdmin and after I updated from PHP 7.4 to 8.3 it blew up.

/server/ is an actual folder in /usr/local/directadmin/data/users/. My DirectAdmin account is /admin/ right above it

I went and flipped back to 7.4 under Custom Build/PHP options and got this.

>> Created symlink from /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/php-fpm74.service to /etc/systemd/system/php-fpm74.service.
Job for php-fpm74.service failed because the control process exited with error code. See "systemctl status php-fpm74.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.

A few months ago I believe I just manually nuked all PHP folders. Reinstalled it and it switched php mode to fastCGI and it worked. The other day I updated PHP 8.3 and now fastCGI also doesn't work

/server/ is an actual folder in /usr/local/directadmin/data/users/. My DirectAdmin account is /admin/ right above it
This folder should not be present there. So that could well be causing the culprit.
Is your hostname server.domain.com by any chance? If yes, is the name "server" present in /etc/virtual/domainowners file by any chance?

I'm just wondering what that name is doing there and why php-fpm is referring to it as it should not exist.

This folder should not be present there. So that could well be causing the culprit.
Is your hostname server.domain.com by any chance? If yes, is the name "server" present in /etc/virtual/domainowners file by any chance?

I'm just wondering what that name is doing there and why php-fpm is referring to it as it should not exist.

"server" folder isn't present in /etc/virtual/domainowners but s2.mydomain.com is, which is my server hostname. No idea how it ended up there. My hosting company did a Cpanel VPS to DirectAdmin VPS transfer for me but that was a couple years ago. And the update to PHP 8.3 broke php-fpm. Before that everything was working.

I resolved the issue manually just before you posted.

- erased PHP83 and PHP74 folders in /usr/local/
- renamed /server/ in /usr/local/directadmin/data/users/
- ./build php n

Everything came back online great except Wordpress decided to developed a memory limit issue but I edited wp-conf and fixed that.

Thank you Richard, your suspicion of /server/ helped. I've been racking my brain for weeks over this and figured it might have been something from the Cpanel transfer but wasn't sure what.

Back