Point root domain elsewhere?

Protected

Verified User
How can I point a domain name, example.com, managed by my server, at another domain name, example.net, managed elsewhere?

Domain pointers only allow me to add pointers from a remote domain to a local one (under the control of an account), and I can't add a root domain cname to a zone without it crapping out when I try to save. I'm required to add nameservers to each zone and I can't remove them, and I don't know where else I might add the cname. Any ideas?

You can use only one record A or CNAME, so before You add CNAME - you must remove A-record from dns zone.

Like I said, it errors out when I try to save. If an A record is present there's a graceful rejection message explaining that the A record must be removed. If there are no records in the zone other than NS (which can't be removed), I get:

Unable to save dns zone: named-checkzone returned:
loading "DOMAIN" from "/etc/bind/DOMAIN.db.temp.1029" class "IN"
dns_master_load: /etc/bind/DOMAIN.db.temp.1029:27: DOMAIN: CNAME and other data
dns_master_load: /etc/bind/DOMAIN.db.temp.1029:27: DOMAIN: CNAME and other data
zone DOMAIN/IN: loading from master file /etc/bind/DOMAIN.db.temp.1029 failed: CNAME and other data
zone DOMAIN/IN: not loaded due to errors.

Where DOMAIN is the domain name.

As I know - you can't add CNAME directly for domain, only for subdomain. So you can add redirect (htaccess/custom_httpd/Force Redirect at DA domain management) from domain.com to www.domain.com, then add cname www.domain.com to anotherdomain.net

Back