problem pop3 in gmail and outlook

bahar

Verified User
Recently, we encountered an terrible problem. On our servers, the pop3 protocol has a problem receiving emails. When we connect mail servers to applications such as Outlook or Gmail, unfortunately emails are received as follows: - The sender's name and the subject of the emails are not known and is just free field. - The text of the emails is illegible and there are strange characters in the text as well. please help me, what should we do for that?

Attachments

• Clipboard - October 15, 2020 3_09 PM.png
    Clipboard - October 15, 2020 3_09 PM.png
    33.3 KB · Views: 19
  • Clipboard - October 15, 2020 3_06 PM.png
    Clipboard - October 15, 2020 3_06 PM.png
    21.8 KB · Views: 19
  • Clipboard - October 15, 2020 3_04 PM.png
    Clipboard - October 15, 2020 3_04 PM.png
    63.6 KB · Views: 20
This problem also exists in our servers
Only on the protocol pop3 there is a problem ☹️
On the protocol Imap Emails are received without error

Installed version of Exim: 4.94
Installed version of exim.conf: 4.5.30
Installed version of BlockCracking: 1.12
Installed version of Easy Spam Fighter: 1.32
Installed version of SpamAssassin: 3.4.4
Installed version of RoundCube: 1.4.9
Installed version of dovecot: 2.3.11.3
Installed version of dovecot.conf: 0.4

Recently, we encountered an terrible problem. On our servers, the pop3 protocol has a problem receiving emails. When we connect mail servers to applications such as Outlook or Gmail, unfortunately emails are received as follows: - The sender's name and the subject of the emails are not known and is just free field. - The text of the emails is illegible and there are strange characters in the text as well. please help me, what should we do for that?

What I generally find helpful is to look at what happened just before I started seeing weird things. I keep a log of changes I make to a live server. Quite often the issue is traced back to a command or config change you make.

Have you recently moved mail for this mailbox around on your machine? Dovecot relies on permissions and timestamps of mail files to display the information that's missing in your emails.

❓ What is the contents of /var/log/maillog

❓How do these emails look when you view them in Roundcube (webmail)

This could be a permissions issue.

❓Have you tried:

Code:
cd /usr/local/directadmin/scripts
./set_permissions.sh all

Have a look at /home/username/imap/example.com/username/cur
❓What is inside the mail files in this folder. Is there an actual subject line in the file

Consider that you may have run into some data loss
Maybe this is a good time to restore a backup of the mail of this hosting account.

Post some of this info back on the forum and we'll be able to pin-point the issue a bit easier. At the moment it could be very many things as you can see.

❓ What is the contents of /var/log/maillog
There is no error in the path of the logs

❓How do these emails look when you view them in Roundcube (webmail)

This problem does not exist in Webmail " Roundcube"
Only emails received in the Outlook program have a problem " only pop3"
And
Emails added to Google Account with the same protocol

Similar to this problem:

Attachments

• screenshot_20201025_204234.png
    screenshot_20201025_204234.png
    77 KB · Views: 14
This problem was fixed about a month or so ago
Pity you didn't post the solution.

For future references. Be aware that using Gmail with pop3 will change anyway, more like apple.
At this moment, when using pop3 with GMail one has to enable the "allow insecure apps" setting which will be removed.

You can only connect with oAuth in that case, which is only available for Imap and not for pop3.
Still you can use pop3 according to Google, found this answer from Google:
POP as a protocol is not being deprecated. If the user want to connect to a less secure app with a 2SV account they will need to generate an app specific password.

I'm curious as how to this has to work, or if this means you will be obliged to use 2-factor auth for pop3.

Maybe best way is to just switch to imap.
Be aware, this starts February 15th next year, so in 2 months!

Back