problem setting up nameservers

emma

I'm having problems setting up nameservers for my domain, I've read the help and I think I understand it. The only problem is that I don't have a list of IP's... just one.

IP Status User(s) Nameserver
64.246.52.84 server 1081 ns1.esecuresite2.com

Is there something I'm missing...

thanks

Emma

To set up name servers, you should ideally be using 2 IP addresses. That way you can have;

xxx.xxx.xxx.x01 ns1.yourdomain.com
xxx.xxx.xxx.x02 ns2.yourdomain.com

As well, you will need 2 nameservers registered with your registrar for proper DNS results.

You should contact whomever you have your server with to get additional IP addresses, or if IP addresses have already been assigned, a list of IP addresses assigned to your box.

Hello,

If you are a Reseller, just click the "virtual" checkbox, then you don't need to select any IPs. That will force your NS's to use the same IP's as the main ns's on the server. (ns1/ns2.esecuresite2.com).

John

I tried that...

I've currently got domains registered in 123-reg. When I try to change the nameservers to the ones I created it says the IP must be unique...

the nameservers are
ns1.spottedhosting.co.uk
ns2.spottedhosting.co.uk

and the error message from 123-reg is:

The nameservers specified were ns1.spottedhosting.co.uk and ns2.spottedhosting.co.uk
When entering the IP address for a nameserver within spottedhosting.co.uk, you will need to use an IP address which has not been used as a nameserver for a different domain. You cannot use the same IP for different nameservers. If you are having problems changing the nameservers for spottedhosting.co.uk, please contact us at [email protected]

I've tried entering the same IP addresses as the ones for ess2 and it doesn't return an error... however it doesn't change the nameservers either.

Is this something I need to ask 123-reg about?

thanks for your help

Emma

123-reg may be making special requirements for your .uk domains:

1) they may require that your IP#s be unique for each of your nameservers.

2) they may require that your IP#s not be used for any other nameservers.

If they're making either of these requirements, then you're probably stuck with one of these options:

1) get 2 IP#s from your hosting company

2) use your hosting company's nameservers; either one or both; this may require you have some method of telling them what domains to host DNS for, or if they host DNS on the same server they've set up your account on, this might just "work" without any effort on your part

3) contract with another company to do your slave DNS.

Of these, your hosting company could help you with options 1 and 2. We and others who sell slave DNS services could help you with option 3.

Jeff

Back