Remove pigeonhole/sieve completely

Richard G

Verified User
My system was giving the sieve error again and I don't want to use the sievec commands anymore or build a cron for it. It should be working without any issues.

So I set Pigeonhole to no in options.conf. Then did:
./build update
./build dovecot
./build dovecot_conf

However, after doing that, the log still shows sieve errors:
Error: yC1yMygw31dxMQAADNWw8g: sieve: The LDA Sieve plugin does not have permission to save global Sieve script binaries; global Sieve scripts like `/var/lib/dovecot/sieve/default.sieve' need to be pre-compiled using the sievec tool
So why it sieve still working while Pigeonhole is removed?

How can I completely remove this sieve stuff?

Thank you Sellerone. Yes I did restarted it, however it's also restarted automatically after the ./build dovecot, which I did a second time later on.
There is no 90-sieve.conf present (anymore) in /etc/dovecot/conf.d only in these locations:
/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/configure/dovecot/conf.d/90-sieve.conf
/usr/share/doc/dovecot/example-config/conf.d/90-sieve.conf

At this moment there are not errors in the log anymore, but that's because I used the lines to fix it again to stop the error notices in the log.

I've now changed owner of /var/lib/dovecot/sieve/default.sieve and default.svbin back to root, now let's wait if the error returns.

Check if "sieve" is still in /etc/dovecot/conf/protocols.conf
And in /etc/dovecot/conf/lmtp_mail_plugins.conf

Best regards

Nothing from sieve there either.

Maybe it's fixed now, it looks like the log is not giving any errors either anymore.

Thank you!

To check whether or not sieve is enabled you can consider running this:

Code:
doveconf -n | grep sieve --color

Strange that you had to rename that file, make no really sense..
No I changed owner, but that was only to test if the error would show up again, but it didn't. So probably after the second time I rebuild dovecot the problem was already solved.

@zEitEr:
That command will give this result:
Code:
managesieve_notify_capability = mailto
managesieve_sieve_capability = fileinto reject envelope etc.
Does this mean something of sieve is still active?

OK, it seems builtin defaults are show now. To get a clean dovecot without sieve you probably need to completely remove:

/usr/bin/sieve-dump
/usr/bin/sieve-filter
/usr/bin/sieve-test
/usr/bin/sievec

/usr/lib/dovecot/
/usr/include/dovecot/
/usr/libexec/dovecot/
/var/lib/dovecot/

and rebuild dovecot with custombuild. With this all the libs and addons should be gone.

Hello,

Thank you Alex for your replies!

Uninstalling pigeonhole have an impact on forwarders created on Directadmin? Or only to filters created inside Roundcube?

Thanks again!

Please, next time start a new thread, don't reply on thread from 7 years old, much has change during that time although some things might work. ;)
Especially if you have new questions.

Back