Secondary DNS on another machine

l0rdphi1 said:
I tried to get my main domain's zone to be transferable to everydns.net, without luck. If anyone has any experience with that, I'd love to figure it out.
Lots of experience, but first I want to make sure exactly what you're trying to do.

Looking at your whois record, it appears that you're trying to get everydns.net to handle both primary and secondary DNS for your system.

Is that correct?

If that's correct, then you need to set up your zone at everydns.net, according to instructions they provide. Sorry, but I don't have an account there and I don't know how to do it.

But everything must be entered there, including all the records within the zone.

Based on response I get from doing a dig on their servers, you may have already done that.

If so, then you should, using the DA gui interface, delete the DNS records for the entire liquenox.net domain.
Here what I've done: I tried changing the default DA line in /etc/hosts.conf to:
Code:
zone "liquenox.net" {
       type slave;
       allow-transfer{ 64.158.219.3; }; // FAQ entry [url=http://faq.everybox.com/index.php/If%20I%20want%20a%20copy%20of%20my%20zone%20from%20everydns.net%2C%20what%20IP%20should%20I%20query%3F]here[/url]
       file "/var/named/liquenox.net.db";
};
but that along with a few variants get me no where (unless 'getting somewhere' can be defined as breaking DNS for the whole box!)
I don't have an /etc/hosts.conf file on any of my DA systems, so I'm not sure what you mean.

Do you mean your /etc/host.conf file?

That should just contain one line:

order hosts,bind

and nothing else.

Or do you mean your /etc/hosts file?

That should contain:

# Do not remove the following line, or various programs
# that require network functionality will fail.
127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
65.58.240.229 da1.ns-one.net

where the bottom line should have your IP# and your system hostname instead of mine.

The sample code you show in your post is what you'd put into your /etc/named.conf if you wanted your system to be a slave server for the master server at everydns.net.

If you do that then you should create a nameserver with your registrar for your domain name, and in the zone file for your domain name at everydns.net you'll need both an a record for it (for example for ns1.liquenox.net) and also an ns record.

And you'll also need to reload your nameserver when you're done:

# service named reload
Hmm.. does the IP need placed in some type of file?
Depending on how your firewall is set up, you might need to open a hole in it for tcp/ip packets from the everydons.net server that would be updating yours.
What about /var/named/liquenox.net.db, will that file need modified from the DA default any?
If you're doing both master and slave DNS with everydns.net you shouldn't have that file. If you're using your box as a slave for the zone, then you still shouldn't create that file, as it will be created as part of the transfer process.

Of course you can only slave a zone mastered at everydns.net if they allow zone transfers. They may not. You'll have to ask them or experiment.

Jeff

jlasman said:
Looking at your whois record, it appears that you're trying to get everydns.net to handle both primary and secondary DNS for your system.
Yes, I suppose. Is there a method that allows one to let DA populate /var/named/liquenox.net.db as it like, and only transfer the records over to the EveryDNS nightly/whenever they pull it.

jlasman said:
I don't have an /etc/hosts.conf file on any of my DA systems, so I'm not sure what you mean.
Oh my... heh. I did mean /etc/named.conf. I guess that's what I get for posting when I'm so tired :D

Thanks for that excellent post by the way! It's very informative. :)

l0rdphi1 said:
Is there a method that allows one to let DA populate /var/named/liquenox.net.db as it like, and only transfer the records over to the EveryDNS nightly/whenever they pull it.
Sure, but the key is what you wrote at the end...

"whenever they pull it". They (the folk at liquenox.net) have to pull it. They probably don't have a method for doing that. (We do that for our DNS clients, but we're not free).

You can create secondary (slave) DNS at EveryDNS, and let them pull it from your server that way. You'll need to create master DNS records on your DA server with NS records for both ns1.liquenox.net and the EveryDNS nameservers you want to use (see their instructions for slave DNS). You'll also need an A record for ns1.liquenox.net, and you'll need to register ns1.liquenox.net as a nameserver at your registrar, but NOT list it (also at your registrar) as one of the nameservers used for the domain. This creates what's called a "hidden master".

Why don't you want your server to be the advertised master nameserver?
Oh my... heh. I did mean /etc/named.conf. I guess that's what I get for posting when I'm so tired :D
Nevertheless, if that broke DNS for the whole box I'd like to see the entire file. Please do not post it to this forum, but instead email it to me (address in my sig) and I'll take a look at it. If you do email it to me, don't convert it to Windows line-endings (in other words, don't copy it to your system first using ftp in ascii mode), because I use a Linux desktop.

You can email me the file from your root prompt this way:

# mail my-address-from-my-sig </etc/named.conf

If you do mail me the file, be sure to send me a separate email referring me to this post and letting me know it's from you; the above command just sends the file contents.
Thanks for that excellent post by the way! It's very informative. :)
You're welcome. We've been offering worldwide master, master/slave and slave DNS services and consulting for DNS-related problems since 1998.

Jeff

Hello,

Yes, the remote DNS would be the next major feature after all of the backup stuff is in place. (Admin Backups, and server backups too)

John

Back