Sending System/Status Mails with proper authentification

martin.schaible

Verified User
Hello

We excluded any email services from the setup of DirectAdmin. We run our own mail servers.

Now DirectAdmin is not able to send status mails or user creation mails. Of course, sendmail is not installed.

I didn't see any setting in the UI to allow an proper SMTP-authentification for probably the admin account or system.

Any idea to solve this?

Thanks!

Martin

I didn't see any setting in the UI to allow an proper SMTP-authentification for probably the admin account or system.
Why should DA do that if you run your own mailservers? I presume you mean mailservers externally. Or how did you mean this?

DA doesn't even has SMTP authentication settings in the GUI when it's own mail system is used. It's just a mailserver, so authentication is done via an e-mail client. Or else via webmail. DA is not an e-mail client so no reason to provide any smtp authentication.

Or I'm misunderstandig something, in that case please explain.

If you mean for system mails, you can create an admin email account from where DA messages are send to.
In the /etc/aliases file you can set a mail address where root mails are send to.
However most likely Exim is required for this as it has it's own sendmail variable.

So I presume that is what you mean if you disabled exim and don't have any sendmail. If yes, then I have no solution for that.

Why should DA do that if you run your own mailservers? I presume you mean mailservers externally. Or how did you mean this?

DA doesn't even has SMTP authentication settings in the GUI when it's own mail system is used. It's just a mailserver, so authentication is done via an e-mail client. Or else via webmail. DA is not an e-mail client so no reason to provide any smtp authentication.

Or I'm misunderstandig something, in that case please explain.

I'm talking about system mails, eg. the mail, which a customers receives if his account/domain was created. Stuff like this.
E. G.Plesk has a setting, which allows you to send system mails with local installed mail software or you can setup an external SMTP server, Port and Account.

which allows you to send system mails with local installed mail software or you can setup an external SMTP server, Port and Account.
DA does not have that option in the GUI.
It's indeed either keep Exim running and have the normal mail system send the system mails outgoing or like @Ohm J suggested, use the smarthost.
However, since you need Exim to run for the smarthost, you can just as well leave the system mails go via Exim.

I don't know if there is another solution, maybe @zEitEr has an idea?

Back