Server connection speed?How can be sure?

rmxs

Verified User
Hello,
How can be sure that we get connection speed to server that we pay for?
For example i pay for 100mbit line to push data,byt how can i know that is not pluged at 10mbit?

:)

The software you use to check differs depending on which OS distribution you're using.

On RedHat Linux and on CentOS we use mii-tool.
Code:
$ man mii-tool
Should give you the information you need to use it.
Code:
# mii-tool
will give you information on your server settings for all your ethernet ports.

Important note: Do NOT use mii-tool any other way unless you're very sure what you're doing; it's very easy to disconnect yourself from the Internet, and a reboot won't help; you'll have to have someone at the data center fix your settings.

Note that mii-tool will ONLY tell you your connection to your upstream router; above that your provider could be doing just about anything.

Jeff

Fine..
100Tx-FD...
Byt i have unstable download speed..
downloads starts from 2kb to 300kb from server to my end and go up and down all the time.(this speed is per file..when i try download 10 files i got 300kbit x 10 that mean my line is ok byt why i cant download more than 300 per file?)
from onother server with wget i can push 100-110mbit (works good)

I have 24mb line and from other servers i can download 1000kb/ps from mine max 300kb/ps

I know that can be the undersea cables and my isp byt i wont to be sure..

There is any speed test tool that can measure up/down speed from server?
as you can see (upload from server is too slow)

This is a sceenshot from my graphs

RED = OUTBOUND (TO THE INTERNET) / GREEN = INBOUND (TO YOUR SERVER)

Attachments

• view_bandwidth_image.cfm.png
    view_bandwidth_image.cfm.png
    4.4 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
You can try traceroutes to see if you can determine a hop with problems. Or you can discuss the issue with your upstream. I'd suggest both. First run a traceroute in both directions.

Jeff

I got from server to my ip some lost packets at 2 hops when data comes to europe..
I think european isp is the problem

Back