Server DNS Issues [Weird]

hoobastank68

Verified User
Hi

5-6 days ago i changed NS1.MYDOMAIN.COM and NS2.MYDOMAIN.COM From ips of my cpanel server to my new DA Server via Namecheap. And then since my domain was still on cpanel box, i pointed DNS Entries for it to new server...worked fine.

Then suddenly it stopped working so i thought it was resolving to new DA Server, but it never did for me. (ISP=EArthlink)
I tried pinging it and wouldnt work, i get:
"Ping request could not find host domain.com. Please check the name and tr
y again."

Netcraft shows

" OS Server Last changed IP address Netblock Owner
- - 1-Mar-2004 Failed to resolve hostname "

Any idea? Same thing happening with few others but alertra.com and dnsstuff etc.. can all ping my domain fine, though i changed my DNS IPs for my CABLE CONNECTION on my PC from earthlink's to some others and its working fine...

I Don't understand why.
the weird thing is i can get to my clients sites which are using ns3 and ns4 nameservers...but when i ping them it wont resolve either and netcraft can get to my clients' domains

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Seems to have resolved for 95% Of people, but for me i cant even ping the server...and its been week almost.

Thanks a lot.

Best Regards

It COULD be your local DNS server. Some DNS servers have the ability to overide the zone records cache time. Try using http://dnsstuff.com/ and run some reports on you name servers to see what is happening.

Yea..the thing is everything works fine via dnsstuff dnsreport and alertra as well as other Whois

But the domain isnt working for some people...

and i have Reverse DNS Entry, but it will work half the time and other half wont via DNSStuff...
weird

Emailed Support, works for them as well as most of the people...i guess i'll give it few more days.

Are you running a firewall? is it KISS (if thats the case?)

Chris

Hello,

Yes, got your email a while back, it worked fine for me. If you ISP has old A records cached, you'll have to wait for them to expire so that it fetches the new records from your server (one theory). (or else you could just set your NS's to your own server instead of your ISP's)

John

DirectAdmin Support said:
Hello,

Yes, got your email a while back, it worked fine for me. If you ISP has old A records cached, you'll have to wait for them to expire so that it fetches the new records from your server (one theory). (or else you could just set your NS's to your own server instead of your ISP's)

John

Hi,

Yes that's what im doing, and its working fine...but the thing is few clients cant access it...or their webmail cant.

ProWebUK said:
Are you running a firewall? is it KISS (if thats the case?)

Chris

Yes sir, but I dont see why it would work for the majority and not for only few people...including myself..

Thanks a lot for your help guys.

Copied from another post by me...

Try changing:

Code:
##############################################################################
# Uncomment to allow DNS zone transfers
#
#$IPTABLES -A INPUT -i eth0 -p udp --sport 53 --dport 53 -m state --state NEW -j ACCEPT
#$IPTABLES -A INPUT -i eth0 -p tcp --sport 53 --dport 53 -m state --state NEW -j ACCEPT
#$IPTABLES -A OUTPUT -o eth0 -p udp --sport 53 --dport 53 -m state --state NEW -j ACCEPT
#$IPTABLES -A OUTPUT -o eth0 -p tcp --sport 53 --dport 53 -m state --state NEW -j ACCEPT

To:

Code:
##############################################################################
# Uncomment to allow DNS zone transfers
#
$IPTABLES -A INPUT -i eth0 -p udp --sport 53 --dport 53 -m state --state NEW -j ACCEPT
$IPTABLES -A INPUT -i eth0 -p tcp --sport 53 --dport 53 -m state --state NEW -j ACCEPT
$IPTABLES -A OUTPUT -o eth0 -p udp --sport 53 --dport 53 -m state --state NEW -j ACCEPT
$IPTABLES -A OUTPUT -o eth0 -p tcp --sport 53 --dport 53 -m state --state NEW -j ACCEPT

Take a read through: http://forum.ev1servers.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36733 for a bit of information on this particular issue (it was discussed there previously) - I will update the script with the area uncommented later tonight or possibly tomorrow.

Chris

** Will make sure i update the script ASAP..**

This is so weird...did the trick as the guy on EV1forums said... :eek:

Seems to only affect Earthlink users.

Because Earthlink/Mindspring's network admins have the choice (as does anyone) to change the cache time on their DNS servers. It helps bring down the load of those machines. They could have a high cache time.

existenz said:
Because Earthlink/Mindspring's network admins have the choice (as does anyone) to change the cache time on their DNS servers. It helps bring down the load of those machines. They could have a high cache time.

Take a read through the ev1 link I provided in the last post... its actually quite weird, and that change on the script immediatly allows them access...

Chris

Thats interesting...

I have never heard once about any other firewall having any issue like that. Would't one just blame KISS and get the developers to look into it?

The developer is the user on ev1, Steve; he advises to keep it off although im almost certain it *needs* to be uncommented... ive seen this exact problem a few times now and everytime, the fix has been uncomment that and restart it.

Chris

Yep, Chris you might want to edit your HOW_TO for KISS and make sure to add that so others wont get confused bout what to do with it when the same thing happens :)

ProWebUK said:
The developer is the user on ev1, Steve; he advises to keep it off although im almost certain it *needs* to be uncommented... ive seen this exact problem a few times now and everytime, the fix has been uncomment that and restart it.

Chris

That is all he says? Seems like he would want to take a look at the issue. I did't take a look at your KISS config but do you block 53 via tcp and not udp?

Last I remember a few of the earthlink DNS servers we solaris boxes running BIND.

Back