server domain name (host) file structure

Marque DeWinter

Verified User
Maybe I've suddenly forgotten everything I've learned in the last fifteen years BUT....

How in the world do I administer the website for the domain name that is used for the hostname through DirectAdmin. I've gone into the httpd.conf file and the virtual host information seems standard but the structure for DA sites seems to vary from this.

I'm sorry if this is a basic question but I've only been using DA for about 4 hours.

~Marque

A domain name isn't quite the same as a hostname :) .

The hostname's site itself is at /var/www/html, as it is in every standard apache installation, unless changed.

There's no user set up with that as the home, so you can't directly upload via ftp unless you add an ftp user manually.

If you decide to use that site for yourself (we only use it for things like phpinfo, and the like), be sure not to delete any of the "stuff" there that DA needs.

Best to use something besides www as your hostname, and to not use that directory for a real site.

Jeff

Last edited:
I Understand, However...

I understand the difference. I traditionally use it for server and network information. And even then I would think that DA would allow for administration of the domain, including adding a sub-domain such as www but DA doesn't allow this. I can do it all through ftp via the root user.

Thanx,
Marque

Re: I Understand, However...

Marque DeWinter said:
I can do it all through ftp via the root user.
I hope not since ftp passes passwords in clear text.

We use scp.

Jeff

Correction

I actually use SFTP through interarchy so its secure....

But it is alot of extra work. I would think that during the install process by default the admin user (user level) would have the domain available with a subdomain of www at least and the ability to add additional sub domains. I really don't want to handle sub domains for the server domain name in a different way especially when you have dedicated hosting machines it could take a long time....

Thanx,
marque

Back