Shared Hosting Packages

jlandes

Verified User
Hello all,

I hope that it is okay that I post this. I do not plan on giving any specifics about what plans I'm going to offer, nor am I trying to sell my hosting services.

What I am looking for is some feedback on some questions that I've been asking myself as I'm setting up my packages in DirectAdmin. Hopefully, I can get some good feedback from some people who have experience with DirectAdmin hosting:
  1. Do you impose any hard limits on services such as the number of domains a user can host, the number of e-mail and FTP accounts the user can have, any limits on the number of mailing lists, MySQL databases, etc.? Are there any advantages/disadvantages to limiting or not limiting these services?
  2. Do you allow users to have anonymous FTP accounts? How does DirectAdmin handle this if the user does not have a dedicated IP address for their domain?
  3. Is it a good or bad idea to limit the use of scripting technologies, such as CGI and PHP?
  4. Do you give all packages access to SSL, even if the user does not have their own dedicated IP or their own SSL certificate? In this case, I believe they would need to use the server's shared certificate. Or, do you reserve the use of SSL for higher priced packages?
  5. I do not plan on giving out SSH access to the server. Are there people out there who do and have you found any problems in doing so?
  6. What about allowing services like CRON control, access to the system information screen, and DNS management? Do you allow your users to have access to these services?
  7. Lastly, do you setup the packages so that users who go over their quotas get suspended?
I hope that I'm not asking too many questions and hope that I can get some good feedback from you all. I'd appreciate it very much. :)

Last edited:
Nobody wants to share their thoughts to these questions with me? :) I understand if you do not feel comfortable posting this kind of information publically, so if you'd prefer you can just PM me with your thoughts. Thanks.

Jeremy, there are as many different answers to your questions as there are hosting companies :) .

That said, Anonymous FTP in DA is safe as it doesn't allow read access to uploaded files.

DA implements it as [email protected] as the username.

We don't recommend ssh access but we've allowed it on occasion to known clients.

We generally don't allow DNS control except on request, because people tend to do it wrong.

Jeff

Back