Skins Update Change Log Request

Integrity

Verified User
Hi John,

I would like to request a "Skins Change Log" stickied as a new thread or in the current Skins thread.

As one of us many exited users of DA, I too have been hooked on skinning and have used my own design for myself and for my clients use.

I am also aware that DA is in constant change and revision. Of course, along with the version and feature updates, the default skin structure changes from time-to-time as well.

MY POINT:

When there are actual changes to the default Skin, can you tell us which page(s) have been changed with date and version reference?

This way it is easier and faster for us to update only what is needed. This will also eliminate checking every page in the panel for consistency.

For example, I have posted in this forum a question regarding an issue in the mail server or the MX record for that matter.

See my post....
http://www.directadmin.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=9326#post9326

As promissed this feature was included with the latest update of which I am really greatful. I could see the changes on the "Modify MX Record" page but I don't have any reference if other pages have been changed as well. The only way for me to check is to check every pages on the current Skin provided.

It would be easier for us to update our custom skin if we know specifically which pages have been changed with each version update.

A reference as simple as this for example would be nice:

DA version v1.20.7 released 1/1/2004

Default Skin Modifications 1/1/2004:
user/dns_mx_control.html
user/domain_pointers.html
reseller/manage_tickets.html

Please forgive a "newbie" if such thing is already in place. I have searched the forum but did not find what I am after.

I suggest you get good file manager (like "Far Manager" that i'm using). And for comparing good old dos "fc" does trick very well combined with far manager's plugin that compares files in 2 directories.

Or you could write a script that fetches and makes all necessary changes to your skin on each DA release :).

That's what I did ;).

loopforever said:
Or you could write a script that fetches and makes all necessary changes to your skin on each DA release :).

That's what I did ;).

It updates your skins automatically...? are these custom skins also?

... very nice if it works like I am thinking :)

Chris

interfasys said:
In the meantime you could use a diffing application. A good and expensive one is Merge from Araxis.

Sure anyboy can do that but that is not the point. It still require that extra effort to verify custom skin.

I have designed my skin so that it still uses most of the pages from the "Power User" default skin so I could just dump the updated skin pages right down to mine. At the moment it is really easy to update it.

But I do plan on customizing every page in the future, even using PHP for that matter. At this point a LOG would be a great time saver.

loopforever said:

That's what I did ;).

LOOP,

I am interested on how you accomplished this.
FYI, I am a RESELLER and not an ADMIN, will such a script work?

To answer your question:

- Yes, it works as a reseller as long as you have SSH access.

All it does is fetches the latest default.tar.gz, untars it, edits all the files I would normally manually customize, make necessary changes to the .conf files and repackages the skin. From there I easily upload the skin to each server, and they all work as expected :).

loopforever said:
To answer your question:

- Yes, it works as a reseller as long as you have SSH access.

All it does is fetches the latest default.tar.gz, untars it, edits all the files I would normally manually customize, make necessary changes to the .conf files and repackages the skin. From there I easily upload the skin to each server, and they all work as expected :).

Cool script! Unfortunately I do not have SSH access with my provider. I still think that a log is a great idea and would be beneficial for everybody.

Hello,

Also remember that there is a CHANGELOG file in the skins packages (power_user.tar.gz and default.tar.gz) with all changes done to them.

John

Back