Softaculous or Installatron

Softaculous or Installatron

• Total voters
Hello again,

I have now installed the Installatron on a test server.
So far it looks like a very good addon for DA =)

We love Installatron at Uberhost and have been using it for years on our DirectAdmin shared servers. Jeff's comment that the WHT thread isn't a fair comparison is quite right, as in this case it is being compared to Fantastico. Moving to Installatron would be a step up from Fantastico, too.

As scsi mentioned, Installatron maintains itself. The installation is amazingly simple and the end users have always been very happy with the choice of scripts offered.

(Do I get a commission for this, Phil? :D)

Cheers,
Rick

We love Installatron at Uberhost and have been using it for years on our DirectAdmin shared servers. Jeff's comment that the WHT thread isn't a fair comparison is quite right, as in this case it is being compared to Fantastico. Moving to Installatron would be a step up from Fantastico, too.

As scsi mentioned, Installatron maintains itself. The installation is amazingly simple and the end users have always been very happy with the choice of scripts offered.

(Do I get a commission for this, Phil? :D)

Cheers,
Rick
Rick,

We're very pleased to hear you're happy with Installatron. :)

Negative or positive, feedback is a necessary component to our development cycle as it provides a guide for future improvements.

Cheers,
Phil.

I'm currently using Installatron, but Softaculous seems to be very user friendly with their rating system, well structured layout and demos and such. They even have a WHMCS Auto Install module :eek:

Not sure about the resources used though.

I'm currently using Installatron, but Softaculous seems to be very user friendly with their rating system, well structured layout and demos and such. They even have a WHMCS Auto Install module :eek:

Not sure about the resources used though.

Its poorly designed, implemented and coded. Barely runs without problem. I could care less what it looks like vs how it runs. Also looks like its a one man show by Alons.

Its poorly designed, implemented and coded. Barely runs without problem.

I agree, spending some time at their demo resulted in different fatal errors and it seems slow.

...I could care less what it looks like vs how it runs...

Your customers don't :rolleyes: You could make this user-friendly eye candy into a competitive advantage.
Imho, the Installatron explorer is just a long, inconveniently arranged page and not all applications in the Installatron explorer have instant demo's available. A review & rating system would be a nice feature, especially for customers who are new to hosting (online applications).

However, I think that Installatron is heading in the right direction with v6 and I'm very satisfied of their stable platform with easy installation wizards, which can't be told of the ordinary forms Softaculous is using as application installer. But you could say Installatron is challenged by Softaculous.

Is Installatron using suid-root binary for work? (As well as Softaculous.)
Maybe I'm paranoid a bit, but I don't like such implementations.

I'm using both and like both. Installatron might be a bit more configurable.
Softaculous has great support.

Never had problems with either of them.

@kiekeboe100:
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 117 2017-05-15 07:28 installatron
Looks like it runs with a root binary.
Or is this not what you mean?

I thought softaculous is more a php plugin, can't find a binary that quick for it.

We do provide both Installatron and Softaculous on our servers and most of our users install CMS's using Softaculous.

Sometimes, Installatron needs to repair if something goes wrong due to updates whereas this is not the case with Softaculous.

Installatron seems to have been on autopilot for a while. No response to support tickets or the forum. They're still on ownCloud when that project died last year and has been replaced by Nextcloud.

Back