SSH Passwords..

Anzix

Verified User
Hello Everyone,

I was woundering where are the ssh passwords located for direct admin users. Also I was woundering is it possible to have 2 passwords 1 for the direct admin cp and ftp and all that other stuff and 1 for ssh.

Since their is no ssh jail feature I would like to run ssh in their user accounts but with a diffrent password so that they may not login but I can to run their game servers and other stuff.

SSH passwords should be encrypted on the server.

If you want to get to their gameservers simply login as root. They can chnage the aSSH password whether you set it seperately or not without modifications.

Chris

well the thing is we run the game servers out of their accounts... As it is easier to monitor and is a secruity risk to run out of root. So I was woundering if their was away to make it so their was a seperate password for ssh.

The seperate users can most definately have thir own password, and for you to gain access there is root?

Chris

Hello,

Just an FYI, DA uses the same system passwords as for ssh.
You *can* make an ssh alias.. just copy the user's line from the /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow and change the username (but leave the uid/gid #'s alone). Then just change the new users password with "passwd newuser". Then you have 2 users on the same account, and they can have different passwords. And you can just disable ssh for the original one (and manually enable the new one in the /etc/ssh/sshd_config file)

*only attempt this if you know what you're doing :)

John

I know this happens after you have disabled direct root login and type in root as your level 1 username.

Have you done that? either way try to login as admin then su - to root.

Chris

Back