Subdomains & Pointers, Virtual Hosts & Zone Files

davidc

Verified User
I'm not finding solutions for these in the documentation.

1. One user has subdomains that do not need web space under /home/someuser/domains. They are being used to connect to remote servers. Is there some way to safely remove these and, to delete the virtual hosts?

2. There are a bunch of pointers under a domain. Originally, I set them up as alias, but realized they just need to be pointers back to the parent domain. Now, the zone files have every bit of the parents zone (CNAME, TXT (dkim, spa, mx))) that are only necessary for the parent. Is this set-up in a template? If so, which one? Is there a way to remove the unnecessary stuff?

They are being used to connect to remote servers. Is there some way to safely remove these and, to delete the virtual hosts?
Not sure what you want to achieve. Is there anything else which is used for these subdomains on your server? If not then maybe just delete the subdomains and then create A records manually pointing to the ip of the remote servers.

2.) Pointers are not setup, they are only present if you create them yourself. DA does not use CNAME records by default either.
The normal records like SPF, DKIM, MX, ftp, www and such are in a template.
I'm not 100% sure but I thought this same template is used for subdomains, so maybe they can be removed by some pre or post script on subdomain creation.

Yes it's handled automatically but he wants to remove those records automatically if I understood correcly.

Back