switching only reseller IP from owner to shared

dotdoms

Verified User
Hi there,

I would be really thankful if someone could help me on a prob:

I got a server which is administered by DA and I assigned an IP to a reseller account, which already got lotsa data on it (which I don´t want to move). Now I need to create users from that reseller, but it won´t let me, since it says I cannot assign any IP as a reseller to those user, since the only IP I have is owned by the reseller.

Now basically what I wanna do is switch that "owned" IP to a "shared" IP. I tried doing so in the reseller interface -> ip management , "switch to shared ip", but it would say that:

"Ip's can only be freed if there are zero users on that ip."

So the question would be how can I switch that IP to a shared one without loosing all the data I already have under that reseller account?

thx in advance :)

Does your reseller user need https? if so then you'll need one or more additional IP#s.

But if not:

Temporarily assign whomever is using the IP# you want to use; if you havne't got any more IP#s, set up your server to use 192.168.10.10 (it's a non-routable IP# you can use temporarily) with a netmask of 255.255.0.0. Then change the reseller to use that IP#.

Then release the IP# and make it shared for all the reseller's users.

Then change the reseller back to usel the original IP#.

Do it quickly so no-one will end up losing the site for a while while DNS propagates.

:)

Or learn enough about the internals of DA to do it manually through the shell.

Jeff

Then change the reseller to use that IP#.

It only lets me assign it to the reseller, then when logging in as reseller only gives the option to share it for that reseller. Now how would I assign the reseller account to this new ip as well? Since when I try to unassign the real IP from the reseller then, it gives back an error message...?

"Error with your request

Details"

Last edited:
I'm not able to test right now but I believe that as admin you can change the reseller account IP to any IP# either marked as shared on the server or assigned to the reseller. Have you tried that?

Jeff

If it's already assigned to the correct reseller, first remove any users from that IP#. Then mark the IP# as shared, and then share it among the users you want to use it.

If it's currently assigned to a user of a different reseller then you'll need to, as admin, after you've removed it from all users, remove it from the incorrect reseller, add it to the correct reseller, and then as that reseller then mark it as shared and assign it to the users you want to use it.

Jeff

Back