Solved Symbolic link to another user public_html

AhmetBas

Verified User
Hello,

Is it possible to link create symbolic links from one user to another? Without having issues with the permissions?

What I have done so far:
Code:
ln -s ln -s ./domains/<domain-name>/public_html ./public_html

This gave me this:
Code:
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root   root     55 Aug 17 10:34 public_html -> /home/......

I'm unsure if it's possible within DirectAdmin to achieve what I want.

Any help is appreciated.

Hello,

It's possible if you do it as root. But there will be issues with permissions, and your users won't be allowed to access content of it.

There are still possible solutions to share content of a folder between users. A solution will depend on what access you need to share? Reading? Full access? What is a purpose of it?

Hello,

It's possible if you do it as root. But there will be issues with permissions, and your users won't be allowed to access content of it.

There are still possible solutions to share content of a folder between users. A solution will depend on what access you need to share? Reading? Full access? What is a purpose of it?
We want the following solution:
domain1.com with content and cronjob
sub.domain2.com is a CNAME of domain1 but the content of domain2 should be served with his own domainname.
sub.domain3.com is a CNAME of domain1 but should also use the same content of domain1
This way there is 1 setup with multiple domains.

There is another solution by adding a domain under the same user. This allows me to fix the permission and create a symlink to the other directory under the same user and fix the permission afterward. But I'm not entirely sure if this is the correct way to do this.

This method gives error messages in the apache log:

Code:
[Wed Aug 17 12:48:05.578466 2022] [ssl:error] [pid 735701:tid 140056307943168] [client xxxx:60793] AH02032: Hostname www.xxx.com provided via SNI and hostname sub.xxx.com provided via HTTP have no compatible SSL setup, >

It's OK to add domains under one user. As of the SSL:ERROR it might take a while for a new certificate to get issued and added on a DirectAdmin server.

It's OK to add domains under one user.
Yep, I had to make some adjustments in the directadmin.conf to allow. (check_subdomain_owner=0). Would you prefer another solution? I found this thread but not sure which method is recommended for this problem.

As of the SSL:ERROR it might take a while for a new certificate to get issued and added on a DirectAdmin server.
So it's safe to ignore this?

Back