TYPO virtual hosting

karunnt

Verified User
Hi,

I am trying to setup a dedicated server to provide multiple TYPO3 websites in a name-based virtual hosting configuration.

1) unzip TYPO3 source in /var/www/typo3_src-4.1.5
2) Create users for each virtual website /home/user1, /home/user2 etc.
3) Unzip the dummy package in each users directory

/home/user1/
/fileadmin
/typo3temp
/typo3conf
/uploads

And symlink to the source in /var/www/typo3_src/-4.1.5

Is this the correct way to set this up?

Thanks.

Either for you or someone else, I had our lead Site designer look at Typo3, and he remarked that it really doesn't look comptiable with DirectAdmin.

Have you been able to make it work?

Jeff

TYPO3 is definately very compatible with DirectAdmin, but the main "problem" of TYPO3 is it's pretty steep learning curve. This includes installation.
Certainly with the permissions in DA it is not all that easy, but very well possible, also with only 1 copy of the source on your complete system.
I just don't really know anymore how I did it, but at the moment, it works fine for me ;) It does include some editing of the virtual_host.conf-templates though.

Simlink is the way

Hello,

Symlinking and placing your typo core in the /usr/local/ directory is the best option for this moment i think.

Is it not working? and if not what is wrong?

regards

I have this finally running as a regular domain site.

I tried to create another site with three subdomains. The main site does not have a TYPO3 site but each of the subdomains each have their own TYPO3 site each symlinking to the same source at /usr/local/typo3_src-4.1.5

/home/user3/domains/mydomainsite.com/public_html/sub1/
/home/user3/domains/mydomainsite.com/public_html/sub2/
/home/user3/domains/mydomainsite.com/public_html/sub3/

When I try to go to the first subdomain site to proceed with the install:

http://sub1.mydomainsite.com/typo3/install

I don't think PHP is working correctly because I get this ....

* @package TYPO3 * @subpackage core */ // ************************************************************************** // Insert some security here, if you don't trust the Install Tool Password: // ************************************************************************** error_reporting (E_ALL ^ E_NOTICE); $PATH_thisScript = str_replace('//','/', str_replace('\\','/', (php_sapi_name()=='cgi'||php_sapi_name()=='isapi' ||php_sapi_name()=='cgi-fcgi')&&($_SERVER['ORIG_PATH_TRANSLATED']?$_SERVER['ORIG_PATH_TRANSLATED']:$_SERVER['PATH_TRANSLATED'])? ($_SERVER['ORIG_PATH_TRANSLATED']?$_SERVER['ORIG_PATH_TRANSLATED']:$_SERVER['PATH_TRANSLATED']):($_SERVER['ORIG_SCRIPT_FILENAME']?$_SERVER['ORIG_SCRIPT_FILENAME']:$_SERVER['SCRIPT_FILENAME']))); // Only allow Install Tool access if the file "typo3conf/ENABLE_INSTALL_TOOL" is found $enableInstallToolFile = dirname(dirname(dirname($PATH_thisScript))).'/typo3conf/ENABLE_INSTALL_TOOL'; // Change 1==2 to 1==1 if you want to lock the Install Tool regardless of the file ENABLE_INSTALL_TOOL if (1==2 || ($_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR']!='127.0.0.1' && !@is_file($enableInstallToolFile))) { die('The Install Tool is locked.

Fix: Create a file typo3conf/ENABLE_INSTALL_TOOL
This file may simply be empty.

For security reasons, it is highly recommended to rename
or delete the file after the operation is finished.'); } // ***************************************************************************** // Defining constants necessary for the install-script to invoke the installer // ***************************************************************************** define('TYPO3_MOD_PATH', 'install/'); $BACK_PATH='../'; // Defining this variable and setting it non-false will invoke the install-screen called from init.php define('TYPO3_enterInstallScript', '1'); require ('../init.php'); ?>

I used to run TYPO3 on a VPS (just one instance) and had multiple sites on that one instance.

I had multiple domains with each domain pointing to a specific subtree of the main pagetree and I created a 'TYPO3 domain record' at the root of each subtree to identify where the domain should start.

I also tried that same with subdomains instead of domains.

This is a little different. In this case I want *different* TYPO3 instances under the main domain directory and each located by subdomains of the main domain.

Thanks.

Back