Understand Customs DNSs

Migdiradmin

Verified User
Hi i need help with manual configure namecheap custom dns.

If i dont want to use dns server in by the directadmin panel the namecheap have own custom dns but i dont know what record i have to insert.

Example: mydomain.com
IP: 123.123.123.123

Can someone try to explain what records need to be there?

Thanks to all ;)

Iam getting this.

INFO: GLUE was not sent when I asked your nameservers for your NS records.This is ok but you should know that in this case an extra A record lookup is required in order to get the IPs of your NS records. The nameservers without glue are:

You can fix this for example by adding A records to your nameservers for the zones listed above.

And this
Nameserver records returned by the parent servers are:

dns1.registrar-servers.com. ['156.154.132.200'] (NO GLUE) [TTL=86400]
dns2.registrar-servers.com. ['156.154.133.200'] (NO GLUE) [TTL=86400]

You don't need to bother with Glue records if you are using external nameservers.
You have to leave the Directadmin DNS in place like they were.

If you use external DNS, like from namecheap, then open your Directadmin domains DNS.
Copy all important things into the DNS settings of namecheap, like:

mydomain.com A 123.123.123.123
mail A 123.123.123.123
ftp A 123.123.123.123
and so on.
If namecheap does not except it like stated here, you need to use the full name, but remember to put a trailing dot behind then, like this:

mail.mydomain.com. A 123.123.123.123
ftp.mydomain.com. A 123.123.123.123
and so on.
You do not copy the localhost record ofcourse.
Do not forget to also copy the SPF and DKIM and maybe DMARC records if present.

You don't need to bother with Glue records if you are using external nameservers.
You have to leave the Directadmin DNS in place like they were.

If you use external DNS, like from namecheap, then open your Directadmin domains DNS.
Copy all important things into the DNS settings of namecheap, like:

mydomain.com A 123.123.123.123
mail A 123.123.123.123
ftp A 123.123.123.123
and so on.
If namecheap does not except it like stated here, you need to use the full name, but remember to put a trailing dot behind then, like this:

mail.mydomain.com. A 123.123.123.123
ftp.mydomain.com. A 123.123.123.123
and so on.
You do not copy the localhost record ofcourse.
Do not forget to also copy the SPF and DKIM and maybe DMARC records if present.
Thanks works ok, i can reach mydomain.com

But wen i do a test intodns.com i see the warning about glue dns.

INFO: GLUE was not sent when I asked your nameservers for your NS records.This is ok but you should know that in this case an extra A record lookup is required in order to get the IPs of your NS records. The nameservers without glue are:
You can fix this for example by adding A records to your nameservers for the zones listed above.

But wen i do a test intodns.com i see the warning about glue dns.
As said, forget about the glue, if you're not using your own nameservers, this is not important. Next to that, this is a notice, not a warning or fail.
Do not only use intodns, I discoverend something it's not always correct. Always check with another system too, for example dnsstuff.com has a dns test.

If you have a domain and your own nameservers, it's good to create glue records to prevent that extra lookup.
In this case intodns is complaining about the glue record of the namecheap nameservers, so they don't seem to have the glue records present, that's their problem. You can't fix their glue records. ;)

In fact in only causes an extra A record lookup, which is not a problem at all. You can safely ignore that one.

Back