Using Webalizer in 2017

William

Verified User
Hi,

I noticed that 'webalizer' is still available by default in the latest version of DA.
Though, for what I can see the last update to webalizer was 2.23-08, created August 26, 2013 (more than 3.5+ years ago)

Would it still be considered software that is maintained? Or is it better to switch to AWStats these days by default?

I would definetely suggest to use AWStats, I have both installed, but honestly I always use just AWStats, it give all the informations i can imagine I would need :)

Best regards

I also use mainly AWStats, The only reason I have Webalizer is when I do 301 redirects on a domain in NGINX I can still see the stats in Webalizer.
AWStats does not count these. (not sure if I can change this because I never looked into it)

I have used AWstats in the past, but found it used up too much data with accounts that had small webhosting/data-packages.
After a while these accounts got suspended because of too much data-usage, while they hadn't done anything different the month before.
I had to choose between either enlarge my packages or turn off AWstats for those clients.

Not sure how much data a year's log will get to these days, and if the html-code has been optimized by now.

process

Go to the statistics directory of the virtual host domain.tld:, Back up the old webstat directory (just in case):, Delete the file webalizer.current and modify webalizer.hist, Unpack the log archives: then Run webalizer to process logs access_log.processed.N , access_log.processed.1 , and access_log.processed :

Just noticed even now, almost at the end of 2021, even while WebAlizers' website has already disappeared from the web (and no updates are provided since almost 8 years now), https://www.directadmin.com/features_list.php still lists WebAlizer as a feature and it's on by default it seems (looking at the demo site).

Wouldn't it be a better idea to keep the software clean from this kind of abandonware?

Back