VLAN Trunking - interface not being created by ifup

dellpe

Verified User
CentOS 6.4 x64

I am trying to setup VLAN trunking on eth0, but I get the following at boot or at the CLI if I try to ifup the interface:

root@noc-mon1 ~]# ifup eth0.60
Device eth0.60 does not seem to be present, delaying initialization.

Here are the contents of /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0.60

[root@noc-mon1 ~]# cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0.60
DEVICE=eth0.60
BOOTPROTO=STATIC
IPADDR=10.30.1.50
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
VLAN=YES
ONBOOT=YES

If I do the following I can bring the interface up and it works fine:

[root@noc-mon1 ~]# vconfig add eth0 60
Added VLAN with VID == 60 to IF -:eth0:-
[root@noc-mon1 ~]# ifup eth0.60
[root@noc-mon1 ~]#

I have to manully add the interface with vconfig. This does not help me at boot-up.

What am I missing here? My access switch is Huawei S5700-52C-SI All the tutorials I have found agree with my settings, I'm completely baffled at this point.

Thanks

@dellpe:

While it's okay to ask here (though it really is an offtopic post for DirectAdmin forums) it's unlikely you'll find much help here. As scsi points out, this is a DirectAdmin forum, for users of the DirectAdmin webhosting control panel. If there are ntworking experts here they're few and far between.

The only VLANning I do is in a CentOS box I use as a router, and I do it this way (in rc.local):
Code:
ifconfig eth1:1 999.999.999.99 netmask 255.255.255.240
ifconfig eth1:1 up
I'm not a networking person by any stretch of the imagination; I was shown this way by someone. I know this is not the same thing as trunking.

So why do I bring it to your attention? I believe you can use this commands you say work, in your rc.local file if you want to, to work as the system boots.

Or even add them to your /etc/rc.d/iit.d/network file.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

Back