vm-pop3d hung?

glarkin

Verified User
Hi all,

This morning, we got a bunch of calls from our customers who suddenly could not fetch their mail from the POP server. Upon investigation, we found that the vm-pop3d process was present (no alert from DA), but it was not responding to new connection attempts. The RPM that's installed is "da_vm-pop3d-1.1.7e-1".

After some number of tries, we were able to shut down the process and restart it via the DA system page. Since then, it has been working fine. Has anyone else experienced a problem like this?

I noticed that there is an update available for vm-pop3d. Are there any advantages to installing the upgrade?

We are also wondering if DA supports any other POP mail server software? My guess is that it doesn't, but if anyone has any information about that, please let me know. I'm most familiar with qmail, so that might be a good option for us.

Thank you,
Greg

glarkin said:
We are also wondering if DA supports any other POP mail server software? My guess is that it doesn't, but if anyone has any information about that, please let me know. I'm most familiar with qmail, so that might be a good option for us.
qmail isn't a POP program; it's an MTA (Mail Transport Agent).

The qmail distribution comes with qmail-pop3d, but as far as I understand it, it's not a stand-alone POP server.

Also, qmail-pop3d only supports maildir-format mailboxes whereas DA only supports mbox-format mailboxes.

Having been a Plesk Gold Partner for several years, I have a fair understanding of qmail, and I have a fair understanding of DA.

I doubt DA could be made to work with qmail; it requires too many features in a mail server which do not come with qmail, and which, if added, would have to (because of the license) be added by a patch system, and then each time qmail was installed or upgraded, the patches would have to be reapplied.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the clarification, re: qmail vs. vm-pop3d.

Do you have any ideas about my other questions? We're definitely nervous that vm-pop3d is going to hang again some time and want to figure out a way to prevent that from happening. Do you know what kinds of features/bug fixes are in the vm-pop3d update?

Thanks,
Greg

No, I don't :(.

I haven't installed the update because of problems others were having.

Jeff

Back