webserver is functioning normally

altinsk9

Hi,
I am stuck with this issue for long and could not get the wordpress website running again.
I have a VPS hosting couple of sites, everything was smooth till i discovered that any email I send from the web server to a gmail is failing because of PTR record.
The hosting company instructed me to change the VPS hostname to be the same at the website (example.com) and create a AAAA record for my IPV6 with the domain name supplier.

After doing this , all websites not running just trying to load and no response, I had an issue with httpd service not running which i fixed by starting back the service so all websites are working expect that main one which has the hostname changed into it as example.com and the AAAA record done to resolve the PTR record. but strangely since this event it shows a white page and this message : webserver is functioning normally knowing that the SSL is not valid as before and forcing it is not changing the situation.

I am not a backend developer and my knowledge is limited , if you please can help me I would appreciate resolving this issue as it is driving me crazy.
Picture attached showing the issue.

Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-07-09 at 22.32.45.png
    Screenshot 2024-07-09 at 22.32.45.png
    56.3 KB · Views: 8
The hosting company instructed me to change the VPS hostname to be the same at the website (example.com)
I don't know what you had before, but this is the worst advise they could have given you. Prooving that the hosting company is not knowing what they are doing.
Only the ipv6 part is probably correct, but also only partly.

The only thing you probably needed to do was to set the PTR/rDNS record at the VPS panel or if you can't do it there, your host who rented you the VPS then should have done it for you, both for ipv6 and ipv4.

Never ever use the domain name as hostname that is not according to the RFC's. A hostname needs to be a FQDN hostname. Which means, something like server.example.com or vps.example.com or if you like numbers server12.example.com or mailout.example.com so anything like this.
Beter not use mail or smtp as hostname.

I don't know if you are running your own nameserver or local nameservers. Anyway I would suggest to set a correct hostname again.

Can you tell me which hostname you had before?

You can also check this guide for hostnames.

Hi Richard,

I agree with you I would not seek help from them any more.
The PTR record is done on hostinger's side but as gmail servers keep rejecting my mails they suggested this for me.

I don't remember the old host name but it was something like server12334.somthing
I would put a new hostname like server.domainname.com but would this resolve the issue I have right now?

Changing hostname after installation.
Check if the above settings are correct.
Then also change the hostname in Directadmin.
Login as admin, go to DNS administration, check for the server-xx-xx-xx-xx.da.direct and delete it if present.Screenshot 2024-07-09 at 23.11.33.png

something like server12334.somthing
Ah oke, yes that is the default directadmin hostname on setup server.ip.addr.es-da.direct something like that.
Better to change this to your own hostname.

If you put a correct hostname, it should fix the issue, but I don't know in how far as I don't have any domain name or ip addres or anything.
If you want a "right now" fix, you can contact me by pm.

The issue you are now having, is that DNS is not working correctly. Might also be nameservers pointed wrong too.

Login as admin, go to DNS administration, check for the server-xx-xx-xx-xx.da.direct and delete it if present.
Those are the nameservers, the da.direct domain is not yours. Those need to be changed too if you change the hostname.

Change these to ns1.example.com and ns2.example.com (your own domain) and also add these A and NS records to example.com so configure the nameservers correctly.

However, that is not where it says, it says DNS administration. :) I might better have a look for you, but that's up to you.

I will update my manual about this part too.

hello, how do you add ipv6 ? did you already links ipv6 to ipv4 ?

because if webserver missing ipv6 virtualhost, it will not show correct website.

you can testing with curl
Code:
curl -4 yourdomain.com
curl -6 yourdomain.com

also VPS Hostname must be on subdomain like "serv1.domain.com"

I'm helping him via pm. Hostname is correct at the moment, ipv6 too.

But DNS is not yet as should be. So we're fixing that too.

Hi Richard,

Thanksfor your support I appreciate it,
Everythings is back and better..
Here is the result we were waiting for yesterday :
Screenshot 2024-07-11 at 07.28.45.pngScreenshot 2024-07-11 at 07.28.20.png
Appreciate your help :D
Thanks again

Back