Website using only single core

MASE

Verified User
Hello,

My domain is not using anything more than %100 in anytime, even though I have multiple windows open for the same domain as a WordPress dashboard.

But the server is maxed at %100 or around %99 for this single domain in the htop command, but doesn't trigger any other cores/cpus in the server.

Not really sure what could be the problem here, and I would like if you can give me some insight on this problem.

I'm using Almalinux 9 and I have 4 CPU and 8GB of ram, the overall usage of the server is around %5~%10 max, the normal is 3%

I'm using litespeed with MariaDB.

Is this a litespeed configuration issue or I am missing something?

Thanks in advance.

The plan you're on gives LiteSpeed access to one CPU core. There may be another problem, depending on how busy the website is, certainly that's worth investigating before upgrading because LiteSpeed is very efficient and can handle quite a bit of traffic when configured correctly.

When to upgrade​

A top command will reveal important information about how different processes are using server resources. (LSWS's process is called lshttpd.) A couple of these outputs are useful for determining if the current LSWS installation could benefit from access to more cores:

• %CPU - Generally LSWS's CPU usage is low. If LSWS's CPU usage starts climbing, and especially if it climbs while the overall load is low, it can indicate that LSWS is hitting a bottleneck and would benefit from access to more cores.
  • %wa - High I/O wait can also be an indicator that LSWS needs more worker processes (and thus access to more cores).
If the %CPU or %wa values are very high, it is best to upgrade to the next license tier. Keep in mind that we allow upgrading/downgrading leased licenses at any time with no downtime.

LiteMage Starter and Standard both have limits on the number of cached objects they can store. To figure out if a higher tier of LiteMage is needed, check the current Cached Object count located under Cache Management in the Magento Admin Panel. If the total is either 1500 ( LiteMage Starter ) or 25,000 ( LiteMage Standard ), it is recommended to upgrade to the next LiteMage tier to support caching more/all pages.

The Web Host Lite plan .

The user BillyS posted all the needed information. Just an additional from the official site:

For example, if you have a 4 core server and run LSWS, PHP, and MySQL on the same server, you will probably be best served by a Web Host Essential or Professional license. LSWS is light enough that it only needs access to 1 or 2 of this server's cores. PHP and MySQL (which are much more resource intensive than LSWS) will be unaffected by this limit and will still have access to all 4 of the server's cores.

- https://www.litespeedtech.com/products/litespeed-web-server/choosing-a-license

So if PHP processes still use only 1 core, you might investigate it, as it was already suggested.

The plan you're on gives LiteSpeed access to one CPU core. There may be another problem, depending on how busy the website is, certainly that's worth investigating before upgrading because LiteSpeed is very efficient and can handle quite a bit of traffic when configured correctly.

When to upgrade​

A top command will reveal important information about how different processes are using server resources. (LSWS's process is called lshttpd.) A couple of these outputs are useful for determining if the current LSWS installation could benefit from access to more cores:

• %CPU - Generally LSWS's CPU usage is low. If LSWS's CPU usage starts climbing, and especially if it climbs while the overall load is low, it can indicate that LSWS is hitting a bottleneck and would benefit from access to more cores.
  • %wa - High I/O wait can also be an indicator that LSWS needs more worker processes (and thus access to more cores).
If the %CPU or %wa values are very high, it is best to upgrade to the next license tier. Keep in mind that we allow upgrading/downgrading leased licenses at any time with no downtime.

LiteMage Starter and Standard both have limits on the number of cached objects they can store. To figure out if a higher tier of LiteMage is needed, check the current Cached Object count located under Cache Management in the Magento Admin Panel. If the total is either 1500 ( LiteMage Starter ) or 25,000 ( LiteMage Standard ), it is recommended to upgrade to the next LiteMage tier to support caching more/all pages.
Hello,

Thanks for the input and the info.
However the lsphp usually maxed out. Does that an indication that I need to upgrade to 2 workers?

Thanks

Hello,

Thanks for the input and the info.
However the lsphp usually maxed out. Does that an indication that I need to upgrade to 2 workers?

Thanks

No lsphp is the php it always works on one core for one visitor / process , next one will open next that is not limited by litespeed license

No lsphp is the php it always works on one core for one visitor / process , next one will open next that is not limited by litespeed license
Thanks for clarifying many things to me.

Can I increase lsphp more than one core?

Or at least for when I need to do heavy editing in WooCommerce?

This is my main issue now.

No php is always single core for single visitor / single process - by design - You need faster possible Single Thread Performance CPU to see the faster possible performance visible performance for the end user / admin/ or benchmark - - that is why AMD Ryzen Rules the PHP Skies

No php is always single core for single visitor / single process - by design - You need faster possible Single Thread Performance CPU to see the faster possible performance visible performance for the end user / admin/ or benchmark - - that is why AMD Ryzen Rules the PHP Skies
This now makes a lot of sense to me.

Thank you and have a great day :)

There are many articles describing how to increase php / lsphp performance for sites using Woocommerce. One of those tips might be helpful in your case.

There are many articles describing how to increase php / lsphp performance for sites using Woocommerce. One of those tips might be helpful in your case.
Do you mind giving me any of these pages/resources to read?
I searched but couldn't find anything specific, only normal tips for WooCommerce optimization and mostly useless and shallow information.

What is your litespeed config? How high is your LS_API children? Do you have the litespeed crawler running server wide?
Which part of the config are you looking to know?

I've made many changes to the server.

I have not touch anything in ls api config. Nothing in the php either.

I have crawler enabled yes . But only one website using it which has multiple pages about 300. Which doesn't increase the server usage more than half an hour or an hour not sure.

The rest are just a few pages . 20 to 40. About 4 or 5 websites.
Nothing crazy.

However, my vps was actually held down by technical issues. The geek bench score was 1000 single core and 3400 multi core.

Once I contacted the provider the score went to 2000 single core and about 5500 multi core.

Which resulted in solving multiple of my problems.
I have a dedicated vps. That's why I rolled the vps itself out of the question.

I'm looking for any optimization tips though.

Thanks

I searched but couldn't find anything specific, only normal tips for WooCommerce optimization and mostly useless and shallow information.
Sounds like you've looked already and made informed changes. All the best :)

Back