What OS is best now for the Directadmin

Depend on your admin experience, hardware, needed program versions.
If you need OLD stuff like PHP 5.3-5.6 - centos 7 will be ok for next 1,5 years.
For PHP 7.x+ you can use or Almalinux 8.6 or Ubuntu 20 or Dibian 11
For PHP 8.x and all newest (and fresh hardware support like Ryzen 5xxx-7xxx, Xeon Scalable 3 gen+, Epyc 3gen+) -better to use Ubuntu 22

I'd go with AlmaLinux 8 (a derivative of RHEL).

Don't use CentOS 7 as it's end of life in 2024 (meaning it will no longer get official security updates as standard). That might seem like a while away, but we're knocking on the door of 2023 and that 2024 date will soon be with us.

@Active8 It has more fresh kernel and built in drivers, it's my own experience, when I tried to install Ubuntu 18, Centos7 or Almalinux8 - they didn't started on Ryzen 5950x (it was about year ago) but on Ubuntu 20 all went OK, then on Ubuntu 22 (and backported for Ubuntu 20) they released new kernel that solved degraded performance for 5xxx Ryzen. Proxmox VE 6.x works with Ryzen too, and inside proxmox you can run any OS.

Last edited:
Coming from CentOS, any preference between Almalinux or Rocky Linux?

Last edited:
I use Rocky for about 18 months, no problems with compatibility on DA. I think both Rocky and Alma are great choices coming from CentOS (like I did). Pretty sure there are scripts to switch if a business model goes sour.

I use Rocky for about 18 months, no problems with compatibility on DA. I think both Rocky and Alma are great choices coming from CentOS (like I did). Pretty sure there are scripts to switch if a business model goes sour.

Good to know.

I never use transfer scripts. After installing a new OS, I manually setup everything again.

Thanks.

Old CentoOS servers have Almalinux and non DA servers have Ubuntu installed

After the death of CentOS, I switched to Debian and it is the only OS with fewer issues for servers. I used to see a post from the DA team that they use Debian too as the main development for DA. So, for Directadmin I just stick with Debian. Another huge reason why I use Debian is that they have an auto-installation preseed configuration. Where I can build a custom Debian OS with a single ISO easily.

and it is the only OS with fewer issues for servers
Not to my experience. If you're on the forum as long as I, you see that there were various issues that were Debian only/specific, and were not occuring on RH alike systems. I haven't seen the other way around, or rarely.

Can't remember seen any time that DA used Debian for main development because all 3 panels are RH based, but I could be wrong with this ofcourse.

You are correct with the other benefits. I don't use it, but I like te fact that it's internal supported to upgrade to major versions.

Only downside still is that the package managers can not exclude that easy packages like the exclude line in yum.conf.

Back