Which OS Utilities do you install as a matter of course?

I downloaded the SecureCRT/SecureFX bundle as well to try it out. The advantage is they share credentials and the ability to launch one from the other. It adds $30, normally $59. The drawback is I probably would seldom use it as an SFTP client because it is too limited. Its design appears to be focused more on web developers moving files between local and remote. To me it's an integrated FileZilla which gives it a little value to me. It seems Flashfxp is more along the lines of SecureFX as well.

My day is more server admin, running and debugging scripts on the servers, and helping people with complex code. I don't maintain sites on my hard drive nor the ability to run them. Where I spend most of my time it would be impossible anyway. For me, things normally start out with WinSCP. telling it to find the top 20 biggest files and directories using a command line I wrote and assigned, doing a find for a file, navigate there, do a <ctl-c><ctl-v> to make a copy/backup of a file, double-click on it and bring up the appropriate environment to edit it e.g. NetBeans, VSCode, or textpad, depending on file type, save the changes, set the rights, and call PuTTY from within WinSCP to test it, etc.

What I WISH is for SecureCRT to integrate credentials in one direction or the other with WinSCP. It wouldn't hurt VanDyke software to write it themselves unless they prefer to kid themselves that SecureFX somehow competes with WinSCP.. I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet, but as an SSH client, I adore SecureCRT. For a standalone ssh client I have seen nothing that even comes close.

Edit: I found my solution: WinSCP perfected an interface to kitty this past year, and WinSCP included the script. The problem with PuTTY was when I launched it from WinSCP, I still needed to put in the password and then paste the location from from WinSCP with a cd in front of it to bring me to where I was at with WinSCP. That is not so with kitty. Kitty wraps PuTTY with a more capable interface and scripting.

Last edited:
Back