Why is CentOS so popular for enterprise use?

iuwjel

I have recently learnt that CentOS is way more common at software firms compared to Ubuntu. Being a self learner having no formal experience, I always used Ubuntu for all deployment environments. Just wondering about the benefits using CentOS !?

I do not mean this rude but you know that CentOS is DEAD right?
CentOS is now CentOS Stream (An development brance of redhat) and all CentOS are now EOF. (End of Life)
And since its a development brach you SHOULD NEVER use it unless you are using it for testing. Since it can be really unstable.

Just wondering about the benefits using CentOS !?
1.) Centos is/was deadly stable and RHEL based.
2.) Most panels like cPanel and Directadmin were based on RHEL based Linux so lets say Centos
3.) Cloudlinux is RHEL/Centos based and used by many hosters
4.) Centos is also older I believe so maybe more trusted for that and yum is very nice to work with. I like it much better than apt.

Ubuntu has grown popular, mostly on desktop because it had good and stable support. But in fact, lots still use Debian, because Ubuntu is in fact a Debian derived distro.

Having that said... Centos will not live very long anymore. Centos 7 will be EOL june 30th 2024. Centos 8 on December 31th this month. And then it's end of story.
Like realcryptonight said, it well be pushed to Centos Stream, which is like Fedora more a development branche so less stable, which makes it less suitable for hosting.

However, Ubuntu works nice too, but if possible, personally, I would rather choose the main system, which is Debian.
Maybe there is not much difference, but I don't know.... I just trust that one more, maybe that is just a feeling.
As for Centos, there are very good replacements like Rocky Linux and Alma Linux. For the Centos lovers, probably Alma Linux will get on top of things, because that's also now supported by CloudLinux. And it's not sure if Rocky will be too.

all CentOS are now EOF. (End of Life)
Incorrect. Centos 7 is still until june 2024, so for a couple of years, that still can be used and it's still very stable. But one should not choose for Centos 7 if they want to use it longer then these 2,5 years. With fresh installations one can better use another system anyway nowadays.

I have recently learnt that CentOS is way more common at software firms compared to Ubuntu. Being a self learner having no formal experience, I always used Ubuntu for all deployment environments. Just wondering about the benefits using CentOS !?

In the past, CentOS follows RHEL lifecycle, i.e. 10 years update (except CentOS 8).

However, Ubuntu (even LTS) contained 5 years update (in the past, not nowadays).

IMHO, I believe Ubuntu is easy for single application installation/development/deployment (esp those python, pip, Node.js, etc). These libraries are more updated.
However, for CentOS, after initial setup, it can be kept longer update period without those upgrade/migration work.

I have recently learnt that CentOS is way more common at software firms compared to Ubuntu. Being a self learner having no formal experience, I always used Ubuntu for all deployment environments. Just wondering about the benefits using CentOS !? cinema hd
Awesome

Thank you @Zhenyapan but I was a bit unclear, I was also curious as to why people choose Ubuntu over Debian for shared hosting servers.
What are the benefits of Ubuntu over Debian? Or are there even any?

ubuntu has better (bigger) community so it's easier to find solutions, also it updates more often (that's why it less stable but provides more fresh utilities).

Ubuntu LTS versions may have a shorter life, but Ubuntu has mechanisms in place to allow for in place major updates. So it's possible to upgrade from Ubuntu 18.04.6 LTS to Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS without having to format and reinstall. Although, how this would work in a server environment, I'm not sure. This is why I think it would serve Ubuntu better if they developed a server or enterprise branch of Ubuntu (a completely new distribution) that would aim to target the market that CentOS had.

CentOS basically came about because when Redhat Linux became Redhat Enterprise Linux and became a paid subscription service, folks were looking for a replacement for Redhat Linux that was free, thus CentOS was born.

I can get a little frustrated when a Linux distribution dies and everybody flocks to the new one that does a 1:1 copy of that Linux distribution. When a Linux distribution dies (i.e. CentOS) that's a great opportunity to look at what other distributions are doing and how those distributions might be doing something better. Or if a new distribution is going to be born, look at other distributions and see what they are doing that might be better. People tend to have the mindset of "I like the way this product works, any product that does something different is just wrong!" without taking the moment to understand it.

In the Redhat Linux days (pre-RHEL and Fedora), there was no yum or package management system. You had rpms, but you also had dependency hell. At the same time, Debian was out there with a wonderful apt-get system - that for the most part, abolished dependency hell. Now, yum may have been around then, but the old Redhat Linux did not use it. I can't speak specifically to RHEL, but I know Fedora picked it when Redhat Linux branched into Fedora and RHEL. In this way, Redhat took a system that was in Debian and incorporated the principles into Fedora and RHEL and eventually CentOS. The death of Redhat Linux created a new distribution that took some of the improvements from another distribution and incorporated it into it's own.

Back