update named

blog

Verified User
Hi

I have Named 9.3.6 I will update to new version how do it?

Centos 5

run

yum clean all
yum update bind

but isn't updated?

Thank you.

If you do
yum check-update

is it presenting a newer version of bind?

run yum check-update

Loaded plugins: fastestmirror
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
* base: mirror.atlanticmetro.net
* extras: mirror.thelinuxfix.com
* updates: mirror.trouble-free.net
Excluding Packages in global exclude list
Finished

yum update bind\*

yum update bind\*

Loaded plugins: fastestmirror
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
* base: mirror.atlanticmetro.net
* extras: mirror.thelinuxfix.com
* updates: mirror.trouble-free.net
Excluding Packages in global exclude list
Finished
Setting up Update Process
No Packages marked for Update

@Ben29: That's no use. If yum check-update will not show any version of bind, neither will your command.

@Blog: Check your /etc/yum.conf maybe bind* is excluded in there. Only bind-chroot* should be excluded.
If bind is excluded, remove bind (leave bind-chroot* in place) and save the file.
After that run yum update bind again.

@Ben29: That's no use. If yum check-update will not show any version of bind, neither will your command.

@Blog: Check your /etc/yum.conf maybe bind* is excluded in there. Only bind-chroot* should be excluded.
If bind is excluded, remove bind (leave bind-chroot* in place) and save the file.
After that run yum update bind again.

I have this line in my yum.conf

exclude=apache* httpd* mod_* mysql* MySQL* da_* *ftp* exim* sendmail* php* bind-chroot*

change to?

exclude=apache* httpd* mod_* mysql* MySQL* da_* *ftp* exim* sendmail* php* bind*

No dont do that. Centos does not use the newest versions of software. Why do you think it needs to be upgraded?

No dont do that. Centos does not use the newest versions of software. Why do you think it needs to be upgraded?

usually upgrade software for security and better efficiency it isn't necessary?

Centos patches older versions of software for security holes when there are some. They like to stay on older versions because they feel it is more stable. You could install a newer version of bind but you will need a repository that supports that newer version or a rpm/srpm that you install manually.

... and of course you may need a complete library structure to support the new version, or a statically-compiled program.

Jeff

Back