Updating Apache / PHP / MySQL To Latest (Recommended) Stable Versions

1024kb

Verified User
Hi guys, I'm looking to perform an upgrade on Apache, PHP, and MySQL. I'd like to go ahead and get them upgraded to the latest recommended stable version of each.

First, here are my current specifications:

• PHP: PHP 5.3.28 (cli) (built: Jul 22 2014 15:30:23)
  • MySQL: Server version 5.5.31 MySQL Community Server (GPL)
  • Apache: Server version Apache/2.2.27 (Unix)

Here is the first bit of my options configuration file:
Code:
#PHP settings. default_php possible values - 5 or 6, php5_ver - 5.2, 5.3, 5.4 or 5.5
default_php=5
php5_ver=5.3
php5_cli=no
php5_cgi=yes
php6_cli=no
php6_cgi=no
php_ini=no
#Possible values - recommended or dist
php_ini_type=recommended
ioncube=no
zend=no

#Possible values - 5.0, 5.1, 5.5, 5.6
mysql=5.5
mysql_inst=no
mysql_backup=yes
mysql_backup_dir=/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/mysql_backups

#Possible values - 1.3, 2.0, 2.2, 2.4
apache_ver=2.2
secure_htaccess=no
harden-symlinks-patch=yes

My first question is: What is the recommended stable versions that I should choose to go with?

My second question is: How exactly do I perform the upgrade? Do I just simply edit my options.conf file (e.g. if I want PHP 5.4, I change php5_ver=5.3 to php5_ver=5.4) and run the ./build command? I haven't actually performed an update before, so do I just go into /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/ and run ./build update?

Any help would be great! Thanks.

Last edited:
My first question is: What is the recommended stable versions that I should choose to go with?

My second question is: How exactly do I perform the upgrade? Do I just simply edit my options.conf file (e.g. if I want PHP 5.4, I change php5_ver=5.3 to php5_ver=5.4) and run the ./build command? I haven't actually performed an update before, so do I just go into /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/ and run ./build update?

1) From what you've written, only PHP 5.3 is end-of-life, so it's recommended to upgrade it to at least 5.4 (end of life date: September 2015). mysql_inst is set to "no", so only "mysql -V" would show the version. Apache 2.2 is a legacy (but stable & updated) branch.
2) Yes, it's as easy as you wrote :) Just change php5_ver and run "./build php n".

Back