swap working nameservers (new domain) without an offline

Tootle

Verified User
I have a
ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com but due to a little company re-branding we're going to left domain.com away and replace that domain with newdomain.com

So, now all clients had set their dns to actual ns1/ns2.domain.com

I read, that I can now create a virtual nameservers ns1/ns2.newdomain.com and pass the info about change request to clients, so they can edit their nameserver settings at the registrar from ns1/ns2.domain.com--->ns1/ns2.newdomain.com

So this will function without any downtime? Nameservers will work on both domains? Right?
Of course I have to update all clients domains > NS records by myself.

And then, in a month or two when domain.com will become unusable, those new virtual nameservers still will be functioning as main nameservers and I can edit/update main nameservers DA settings with ns1/ns2.newdomain.com and remove virtual ones?

Am I getting this right?

Last edited:
So this will function without any downtime? Nameservers will work on both domains? Right?
No one can guarantee no downtime, but if you've created ns1.newEXAMPLE.COM and ns2.newEXAMPLE.COM at your registrar, if you make changes to your zone files (I'd do this first but nameserver IP#s haven't changed this shouldn't matter), and if all your clients change records at their registrar, then if your clients all follow your instructions, then they shouldn't see any downtime.
Of course I have to update all clients domains > NS records by myself.
Relatively easy to do with two single-line perl programs.; but afterwards don't forget to restart bind, and if you host slave DNS service elsewhere you'll also need to update the serial numbers in each zone to make sure the new information gets transferred to the slave server(s). If I recall correctly you can do that by making one change to one domain on the server, but I'm not sure.

But you can definitely change the serial numbers in all zone files with this one command from the root shell:
Code:
echo "action=rewrite&value=named" >> /usr/local/directadmin/data/task.queue
And then, in a month or two when domain.com will become unusable, those new virtual nameservers still will be functioning as main nameservers and I can edit/update main nameservers DA settings with ns1/ns2.newdomain.com and remove virtual ones?
Recently when I built new virtual nameservers at different IP#s I made all the changes at once, and then two months later turned off the old servers.

And even so I found clients who ignored my multiple emails and blog posts and went offline because they were using their own nameserver names and hand't changed them to my new IP#s for my new servers.

Jeff

Back