Web Pages Loading Inconsistently (Very Odd)

1024kb

Verified User
I am completely stumped. The problem I have run into as of late is that any new account / domain I create on my server experiences inconsistent web page loading. I've never seen anything like this before and am looking for some assistance.

To further explain the problem, this happens on any type of web page - whether it be the simple DirectAdmin generated splash HTML page, or a PHP script. No matter what it is, the page will load sometimes, and other times not. What also adds to the strangeness is that pieces of the webpage will load inconsistently. For example, one refresh will load a page perfectly fine. The next refresh might not load the image but loads all other resources fine. The next refresh might load the image that it just couldn't previously load, but will not be able to load the CSS stylesheet. The next refresh the image might load fine, the CSS stylesheet might load fine, but the Javascript resource will fail to load. And sometimes the page just doesn't load at all. I can even add a simple TXT file to the server and if you sit there and refresh, sometimes it will load and sometimes it won't.

It's important to note that all sites / accounts that exist work fine without this issue. Only new ones I create experience this.

The first thing I assumed was DNS may not propagating, or the nameserver was acting up. I've ruled this out however by creating multiple domains using various nameservers - all end up with the same inconsistent results. I'm also not using any type of load balancing (which I've seen cause a similar problem). I really have no earthly idea on what could be causing this. None of the Apache logs indicate any problems. I've attempted browsing to these sites from different machines across the US, all with the same result. I've also just tried restarting all services (e.g. DirectAdmin, Apache, etc) with no luck. There are also no OS updates associated with web software needing installed, nor are there any CustomBuild updates needed (excluding Let's Encrypt and Libpng). Lastly, I have not made any custom changes to the Apache config files that DirectAdmin generates on its own.

If anyone has any idea what could be the problem, I would love just a direction to go in or theory or idea or whatever. This is driving me crazy.

Here are a few links to test with if needed. If you keep hitting refresh you get different results:
Server Information:
  • CentOS 6.8
  • Apache 2.4.23
  • DA 1.50.1
  • CustomBuild 2.0.0 (rev: 1572)

testing a few local things at your PC.

Windows?
Then use command line:
Ipconfig /all ( you see your network settings)
Change dns server to 8.8.8.8
use nslookup with several options

Running "winmtr"

You can search the internet for howto's.

Further on Monitor your DA server for peaks.

LOG files and so on

If this hold on for more days/weeks then should you be able to find it.

If problem stays only one or few days, it is hard to find, but take notice what is happening at your local network and the "route / path" to your DA server..

Testing here it looks like a problem with YOUR:
DA SERVER, Hoster or the route/path to it.

You can see this with winmtr running longer time that it is slow (route)! ( save results and handle them to your Hoster)

Last edited:
testing a few local things at your PC.

Windows?
Then use command line:
Ipconfig /all ( you see your network settings)
Change dns server to 8.8.8.8
use nslookup with several options

Running "winmtr"

You can search the internet for howto's.

Further on Monitor your DA server for peaks.

LOG files and so on

If this hold on for more days/weeks then should you be able to find it.

If problem stays only one or few days, it is hard to find, but take notice what is happening at your local network and the "route / path" to your DA server..

Testing here it looks like a problem with YOUR:
DA SERVER, Hoster or the route/path to it.

You can see this with winmtr running longer time that it is slow (route)! ( save results and handle them to your Hoster)

The issue has been going on for a little more than a week. I thought it was a DNS issue so I created DNS records and waited a few days just to make sure that wasn't a problem. And like I said, I also created records across multiple nameservers and swapped them out - same problem. As far as testing things, I'm primarily on Linux machines - I've ran traceroutes and dig @8.8.8.8 and the results are always consistent. As far as sending information to my hoster, this is a self-managed server that I run on my own.

I visited those pages and refreshed a couple of times and indeed the pages behave oddly.
Did you install mod_security?

Thanks for looking. I do not have mod_security installed.

Just an update on this - I have no clue why this resolved it. But I rebooted the server (uptime was 309 days). I don't like doing that - and that's typically a last resort, however in this case it fixed it and the pages are loading 100% consistently. I wish I could provide a real solution to the problem, but I have none.

Either way, problem has been resolved. Thanks to those for your input.

Back