Pricing changes/updates as of July 1, 2019 (No, we aren't raising our prices)

Is there any reply from Directadmin about the removal of the owned license I went to buy one at weekend and it had gone with out any notice this is as bad a Cpanel im happy to pay for a year upgrade fee I would even pay per a support ticket ontop of that but I don't want to be paying monthly for a license where terms could change at any moment like Cpanel have done and it's not going well after directadmin changing there minds within 35 days of the first post!!

Kind Regards,
Adrian Goodwin

Yes, it's true we did remove two products (one heavily discounted, and one completely unsustainable). So it certainly is a price increase if you are used to paying once, then getting something for life.

We've offered the same product group for 17 years, without price increase, and those with currently active subscriptions will renew at the same price, so they will not get a surprise bill.

Also, this is retail pricing, it is meant to be the most expensive and least desirable. If you are a server provider, you get much better pricing. If you get your DA license through your server provider, you get much better pricing.

I'd be more than willing to make an exception for anyone who can show me that they have offered the same price for 17 years, and that they guarantee their customers to continue to offer it at that price. I'm not trying to be rude, and I realize everyone wants the cheapest price forever, but we have to work in real life.

@apgoodwin -- we don't delete licenses out of the blue, you should contact us with your client ID# so I can see what you are talking about.

You keep saying retail is meant to be most expensive, but why? I'm sure everyone using a provider license is just coming here/emailing you with problems.. So I'm not sure why there needs to be a difference.

One customer has a VPS with me, does this mean I can apply for the cheaper provider prices? But as some providers can 'give' the licenses for free, it looks like it is a huge price difference.

Retail is most expensive, why? Because that is a fact. On every existing software retail versions are more expensive then OEM or others.
Why the difference with not providers but server providers, because they take mass licenses which make it worth while for any panel (cPanel, DA, Plesk etc.), so there is your reason. They are called "internal datacenter licenses" or at least were called that way.

Can you get a provider license? No because you're don't own or use a datacenter big time. If you do, please contact sales. :)

One customers has a VPS with you? Then you could use the cheaper lite license.

But as some providers can 'give' the licenses for free
DA licenses? If they do then they loose money on it or they are providing a lifetime license for free and then you got lucky.

You keep saying retail is meant to be most expensive, but why? I'm sure everyone using a provider license is just coming here/emailing you with problems.. So I'm not sure why there needs to be a difference.

One customer has a VPS with me, does this mean I can apply for the cheaper provider prices? But as some providers can 'give' the licenses for free, it looks like it is a huge price difference.

For 1 as email problems to support and not in this Forum without DA direct license hmm , i have had extra payed support as agreed yup with one then but so free hmm no

For 2 you believe free , no free shipping you believe in then too no??, always all that kind of costs are extra in the end price , only ... believe it is really free i think , the Postman has to be payed to i hope enough for them.

Ofcourse in MASS quantities prices are cheaper then 1 or whatever, also that is normal.

Also for point 1 i have some provider licenses and yup they give support if i pay them for their good work, if they can't or don't support i look somewhere else but don't expect free email support from DA, i even don't try to ask / mail hoping them for such!

I aks when i need extra support who for how much can do this job, while as i hope my custommers pay for extra work i expect i have to pay the ones doing work for me to.

I'm Dutch yup but i don't like be be the "dutch" guy wanting goods / services for NOPE , sorry for my Gramar. ;)

I mean it good.

Last edited:

If you have a company website showing you offer servers/VPS, then of course contact us! But in general:

Retail Licenses: Are owned by the end-user, come with support from the software programmer, and can be used anywhere. Whether it's a DA or Microsoft retail license, this is how retail pricing works. If you compare the cost of a Windows license that comes with a PC, compared to buying a retail one off the shelf, there is a HUGE difference for the exact same product.

Datacenter Licenses: Are owned by the data-center, come with no end-user support (it is up to the datacenter to support the software), and only work with a product (e.g. VPS) in that particular datacenter. We can offer a cheaper price to datacenters because they tend to buy in bulk, and unlike a retail license, we aren't obligated to allocate staff time for support.

Well, that sucks. I wanted to buy a lifetime, unlimited update license after the summer (because of vacation expenses.). I even created a ticket a couple of months ago.
Apparently that's not going to happen anymore.

Well, that sucks. I wanted to buy a lifetime, unlimited update license after the summer (because of vacation expenses.). I even created a ticket a couple of months ago.
Apparently that's not going to happen anymore.
Same here.. guess I'll go with a free system since unexpected licensing changes screw me again!

I REFUSE to ever buy anything but a lifetime license for "cheap" software again. Sorry but cpanel or ANY software like it doesn't deserve to charge PER ACCOUNT! PURE GREED!

WTB lifetime license, email [email protected] !

PSD- It's bull**** existing clients can order the lifetime license until September 1st but I can't? How is that being fair?

Well done DA, you took the same path as CPanel, removing the option as year payment. It’s look like a trend to do that. So my plan to migrate fall down.

Respect for you guys, what next, moving towards CPanel, paying more on WHM compare with VPS or Dedicat server, I bet wen you get more customers you will screw them like CPanel.

Sad days for the option people believe will treat fair and not adopt the same like cPanel bad decision.

A please stop wining, you can't expect to be sitting on the first row for a dime for years. Which we already did with DA in fact. And they introduced 2 new very nice options (personal and lite).

If you're plan to migrate falls down, you should recalculate. There are no professional panels using yearly licenses anymore. And it's not said that DA might come back with a yearly license at a later time, but with another setup, like for example 2 months less to pay (year license, pay 10 months or something like that), one never knows.

If you just take a license from your datacenter you will be off cheaper too, because the licenses here are only retail licenses.

DA never have screwed people and they never will, but if a company has to survive, you can't expect them to keep prices and options always the same. They have been very fair for 17 years and they still are. Find another professional panel where you can get for example a retail personal license for a hobby vps for $24 a year. You won't.

They are fair and they have always been. I don't expect this to change in the feature.

If you want to complaint, have a look at cPanel's way of changing prices, then have a look at Installatron raising prices with 40%, everybody is raising prices.
DA is still good for a fair retail price and even more cheaper wen you get it from the datacenter or vps seller.

If you don't want to migrate, it's your own decision, but don't complaint because after 17 years they made some changes to keep the company and support alive too. Compared with other company's this change was long overdue. I also don't like it, but it's normal and it's just a fact. Things always change.
And DA is fair.

I'm sorry Richard G. but you're not right here.

Let see the new price for unlimited accounts is $29/m where year will be $348, removing the $200/year price will be an increase of 54% so please it's an increase when DA remove that price.

That option was perfect for me, as well where we give non-profit web hosting most of the case. I'm not comparing with CPanel, but c'mon WHMCS, CPanel, Plesk, etc., they adopt the idea to charge for an account and especially monthly payment. We cannot afford to attach any card to make payments like that.

Regarding on my opinion, what do you think when you look on the website you got the $200/year you planning to migrate and boom, monthly payment only and limitation of accounts. Agree it's better compare with CPanel but adopting like them and leave us with out any options where in our case will be impossible to set a recurring payment.

$200/year I think it's a fair price especially now when I'm been screw by CPanel so my price from $180 increase to $900.

Whatever no comment and apologize if I make someone to feel uncomfortable.
Thank you

I see the pricing stuff this way...

With the main question needing answering as this=>
What is behind all these hosting related companies JUST NOW raising prices & adding restrictions more or less simultaneously ??

It seems far too coincidental to my old eyes...with the biggest effect likely being that of putting lots of smaller providers right out of business.

With the main question needing answering as this=>
What is behind all these hosting related companies JUST NOW raising prices & adding restrictions more or less simultaneously ??

It seems far too coincidental to my old eyes...with the biggest effect likely being that of putting lots of smaller providers right out of business.

Marketing, "No, we aren't rasing our prices" but removing $200/year and the new price for unlimited is $29/m ($348/year) for us and other yes it's an increase where we can't afford, especially were you force us to attach a direct debit card.

Fair, no if you think forcing people from $200 to $348 and forcing to pay monthly, I'm not sure if is fare.

Thank you

@ChrisDeVe, you are wrong. It is not a "new price for unlimited is $29/m", the monthly unlimited has always been $29/m. Also they have not removed the owned license for existing customers, they have only removed it for new orders. They are not forcing anything, if you already pay 200$ yearly, it will continue to be the same. Nobody force you to buy new licenses, and nothing has changed for existing licenses. Please stop making things up that is not true.

I think it is time to close this thread.

Last edited:
@ChrisDeVe, you are wrong. It is not a "new price for unlimited is $29/m", the monthly unlimited has always been $29/m. Also they have not removed the owned license for existing customers, they have only removed it for new orders. They are not forcing anything, if you already pay 200$ yearly, it will continue to be the same. Nobody force you to buy new licenses, and nothing has changed for existing licenses. Please stop making things up that is not true.

Agree, I didn't specify the $29/m was not there, but removing the $200/year without possibility to pay on time each year that is wrong, I know Direct Admin is for 17 years and I respect that, I'm coming from CPanel disaster where we paid $200/year and planning to migrate to direct admin because they will keep the same amount I was thinking was the best option. Now I'm in a position where I can't do anything because they plan the same strategy.

The price will increase as a new user will come and they will pay $348/year, the worst part they will shut down people where will be in a position as not able to attach card payment for each month.

I believe as fair in my situation is not when I plan to migrate after everything. But fine, I'm not wining as Richard said, I'm sharing my view and opinion. I never say Direct Admin is worst, but the software it's not perfect were moving towards the same rules. No more year payments.

One thing I will respect, they respect the customers, not like Cpanel, I kinda regret not to start with Direct Admin from the beginning but I believe it's an I can share my opinion and hope I didn't offend someone.

Thanks

Please stop making things up that is not true.

YUP ;)

Do you all want that Support needed with real technical knowledge. ( that is not cheap)

Do you never in 17 Years got a payment raise.?

And UPDATES needed to be secure online, some people do some work for those code.!

Last edited:
Reason: The cPanel change which causes customers to leave cPanel massively. So it's good business to adjust things which are needed to change already when you expect al lot of new customers.
Better then doing it right after and getting complaints like "now we are customers then suddenly prices or options are changed". In this case most cPanel movers knew up front what was coming and could make their choice. Most of them don't complaint either. :)

+1 for @Ditto and @ikkeben - Please close this thread, nothing new anymore, only same arguments coming over and over. So I agree with them.

Businesses like DA have to live too!

Personally I believe each one deserves to have an opinion and share. Richard, I respect your view and don't get me wrong but you don't have to get so angry about this situation.

@Ditto, the reference for the new price was comparing the year to the monthly, the reference as new price will be for new customers like the option $200 has been removed.

The reference to the price was the year payment, I'm 100% agree that "lifetime" should be removed, but I disagree to remove the year payment. The reason why I specified as DA moving towards CPanel was only for the year payment, maybe I exaggerate regarding "screw" and apologize for that.

Richard, I'm sure if someone will force you without no option and you depending for service and paying $200/year after few years the price will increase to $900/year you will get mad and angry I promise that.

I'm not here to offend someone or try to make justice, I wish our voice to be heard and stop removing the year payment. I'm not the only one who has been trapped for this decision, I'm not asking for getting the panel for free, the option for payment as the year to not be removed from the price options. I believe the price $200 for each server allocated by a single IP will be a nice to have.

If DA deserves to increase price it's not up to me do decide.

Ricard, apologize, but you don't have to be so negative.

Thank you

It would have been nice if there was a mailing to all clients with active licenses with recent (eg this year) updates to at least the license. That way only clients using the licenses would be informed, but now have to discover it on the forum.

Also 5 IP updates/year is fine by me (we would never reach that), but 5 IP updates in total is a little bit low for a lifetime license.

Back