IP Change Count on Licenses

alwaysbusy

Verified User
Hi,

on my old owned licenses i see there is a "Change Count" entry on the license page which shows for example:

1/5 changes since ....., 2019

What happens when i have 5/5 and need a further change? Would i have then to pay for this or can i not change then the IP anymore and my license is expired?

Greets

It's discussed a couple of times on the forums already.
It's to prevent abusing licenses by using them on multiple systems. It's already a big think if you would move 5 times with a server.

You don't have to pay when you are at 5/5 and a 6/5 can be possible. However to possibly achieve this, you have to contact DA support or sales and give them a good explanation as to why you needed that many switches.
That's all to it.

P.s. it's max 5 changes per year.

Had been searching on the board here, but couldnt find anything.

Thanks for the info. Thought its 5 times per lifetime, but 5 times per year is totally fine. And a normal user is not so often changing it. Maybe one time every few years...

Greets

Good to know. I was wondering about this myself too. I rented a couple of servers at a hosting company, but was not satisfied and moved to another and again to another. Was worried it would only be 5 ip changes for the lifetime license.

Now knowing this, I have no more worries about changing to other hosting companies.
5 ip changes in a year is more than enough.

5 times per year is more than enough ;-)
Not if testing , installs and so on with hosters that don't have fixed ip anymore, example openstack virtual servers. ( even moving virtualbox then, image backup and restore is new ip)

I think i have found a way to handle that but ok. (with multiple floating ip )

Hosters should have fixed ip's for their servers to run directadmin on. So they should not use openstack vps then. 😂 😂
How is that done with DNS, change all dns and nameserver glue records everytime?
I don't even take hosters without fixed ip serious for a server.

I have had a few problems with providers that I signed up with in the past, what annoys me is signing up with a new host and the IP shows up as blacklisted, I think from memory I had 4 changes in a week... I explained to Mark what happened and it was all good.

So I would say if you have a good reason to change IP's in your license more than 5 times a year you should be ok.

That's what I wrote in my first reply.
However to possibly achieve this, you have to contact DA support or sales and give them a good explanation as to why you needed that many switches.
And as one can now see from your reply, they are really reasonable with this if you have a good reason. ;)

Back