What are the issues with installing FreeBSD 12.2 today?

My current vote as much as I dislike saying it is for Debian 10. Unless you need Cloud linux then Alma is best.
Your choice surprises me. Considering the hole left in the market by the loss of CentOS, and what I've read about AlmaLinux, it sounds like AlmaLinux is maintained with security patches long term like CentOS was, plus maintenance in that regard is also superior. I would think it would be the heir apparent for CentOS in shared web hosting everywhere.
and Plesk
Thank you for the list for this list. I will look at these. I was looking at HTTP/2, htaccess, and Let's Encrypt, and it appears they are all available in Windows these days

Your choice surprises me.
Well I have used them all. There are things I dont like about both RH varieties and Debian varieties. Mostly its systemd. Which both have. RH is a full reinstall to upgrade Debian is not. The also seem closer to non corporate. Like when you had pf, pkg and no systemd... Where do you go..

I would think it would be the heir apparent for CentOS in shared web hosting everywhere.
The new Heir needs to prove himself.. Neither is a bad choice. With RH varieties systemd is never going away.
Thank you for the list for this list. I
Always buddy.

Thanks again. The more I think about it, the more I believe this is the juncture where I should try standing on Windows to test how it handles the loads.

>My current vote as much as I dislike saying it is for Debian 10. Unless you need Cloud linux then Alma is best.<
I may have to try something before Windows and Plesk.

Debian 11
1. A very long support window with Long Term Support (LTS) until the end of life of its versions.
2. It is also very conservative on upgrading Linux Kernel versions and packages. This only makes your server more stable without any surprises.
3. Provides smooth upgrades: Debian is well known for its easy and smooth upgrades within a release cycle but also to the next major release. In the real world you I don't want to be ripping and replacing every year or two, which FreeBSD was forcing me into. However, does any of this work with DirectAdmin?

AlmaLinux 8.x
1. Probably what DA will be developed in.
2. AlmaLinux OS is a 1:1 binary compatible fork of RHEL 8.
3. $1M in annual sponsorship from CloudLinux Inc
4. AlmaLinux has a product called ELevate to bring people from CENTOS 7, but whether that continues on to new releases, I don't know. However, does any of this work with DirectAdmin?

Benchmarks
- The ones I used are at phoronix.com.
- It seems all around, Intel's Clear Linux is the one to beat, but is bleeding edge and its unique package doesn't sound so hot. AlmaLinux 8.4 does very well too, and always finishes with CentOS 8.x, which makes sense because they are the same. Most interesting is AlmaLinux does very well with Apache while Debian does not but they are nearly tied on NGINX. AlmaLinux also does very well with PostgreSQL, but MySQL is what I use. Debian beats AlmaLinux in PHP. Many I didn't mention because they were either mostly irrelevant to hosting or the difference insignificant.

Other
- I haven't had to use Linux in 15 years. I don't want to learn more than one.
- It appears there are two that matter, RH-based and Debian-based, each with different package management systems. Which one does a better job keeping me out of DLL Hell? LOL!

Last edited:
I'm thinking:
- AlmaLinux - It's quick, and probably what DA develops with
- Apache 2.4 - With PHP-FPM is is no slower than NGINX when you consider it has .htaccess
- MySQL...Tough call. It doesn't make sense in the situation to go with 8.0, and there is no speed magic there. It comes at the cost of CPU and memory. I'll probably have to go down that road at some point, so maybe now. I've used both MYISAM and InnoDB in the past and never sorted that out completely. In this application we do a lot of high speed reading mixed in with tables that get 16,000 updates all at once every 15 minutes. If you know any reason not to go with 8, let me know. Oracle says if you don't care as much about data integrity, which I don't, and you can affor to lose a few transactions, simply set innodb-flush-log-at-trx-commit=2 so it doesn't flush the log every transaction.
- PHP-FPM - Multiples because part of this is to upgrade PHP on an app.

Now I just need to chase down what to download, and install it and start learning the differences. We will see if it can handle a load without falling down. That was the problem before when we got the advice from SAVVIS who told us to go DirectAdmin and FreeBSD and that their banking was all on FreeBSD as well because Linux could not. However, 15 years is a long time so I'm optimistic. I can always go back to FreeBSD without DA and 2022 Server and Plesk.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Last edited:
Back