External DNS servers only

WholesaleDialup

Verified User
I am adding a new DA server which I do NOT want to handle DNS on locally for domains added to the server. I have other DA servers where I do handle DNS for the domains on these servers.

I have decided that I prefer to run DNS externally for this new server. No issues setting up DNS externally.

My questions are regarding what I need to do on the DA server itself after adding a user and domain. Do I just delete the zone on this DA server after adding the user/domain? Is that it? Will this cause any issues with DA? Anything else I need to do to make this work correctly?

At one point, years ago, I knew the answer to this question as I have been running DA servers for years. I just don't spend as much time with hosting, email or DA server admin task which has made me a little rusty.

Thanks in advance for anything you can do to refresh my memory on this type of setup.

I have running this for years, DNS and NS external, at a domain reseller. Just point NS in DA to your external NS and leave internal DNS alone, no need to delete anything. I prefer to do all manually (divide et impera ), so after adding a new domain, i just copy the DKIM/SPF records from internal DNS to the external zonefile.

I have running this for years, DNS and NS external, at a domain reseller. Just point NS in DA to your external NS and leave internal DNS alone, no need to delete anything. I prefer to do all manually (divide et impera ), so after adding a new domain, i just copy the DKIM/SPF records from internal DNS to the external zonefile.
Yes that is sofar i know only way it is working, or with some api scripts for updating external that are there for some dns services.

There is however a setting and manual somewhere i asked longer time ago to not use dns on server at all, but that is ols and then you have problems with dkim and so on stuff.

You don't have to delete any DNS record in DA. You just need to synchronize these records into external DNS (copy everything from local DNS record to external DNS record). If you want this to be automatic, the requirement is that the external DNS must have API enabled and this required a custom script.

The API that is required is the domain deletion, domain creation, domain update, record delete, record update ... etc. You can use this directadmin custom hook script and variables https://www.directadmin.com/features.php?id=450. So when you add a record in local DNS, after the DNS record is written in local DNS, it will automatically call this hook script dns_write_post.sh.

So, in that script, this is where the custom script should be written (dns_write_post.sh). In there, you need to use the environment variable from the link above and pass it through external DNS API to synchronize the record.

I Also want to know this: while if you use dkim then?

This also similar, what you will do is, you will obtain local DNS record from directadmin using directadmin API itself or you can obtain these records from .db file including the DKIM TXT record, or just take the environment variable from dns_write_post.sh above then update it using custom script. I will spend time to update this post with example.

Last edited:
Back